A Tomato Mozzarella Salad from an Arizona Star
This Tomato Mozzarella Salad recipe comes to us from Christina Barrueta, freelance food & beverage writer and creator of the award-winning Arizona-based food blog WriteOnRubee.com. She recently tried serving this salad recipe on a romantic picnic for two. The dish was such a success that she offered to share it with our readers.
The recipe is a simple one. The key to making this Tomato Mozzarella Salad a memorable dish is choosing the right, quality ingredients. She recommends using a variety of vibrantly colored, vine ripened tomatoes.Then she adds high-quality mozzarella and garden-fresh herbs to really make the flavors sing.
A summer recipe layered with aphrodisiacs
You might be thinking this sounds like a simple, summer appetizer or light, picnic dish. But why is it supposed to be the catalyst for romance? It isn’t common knowledge today but the plump, juicy flesh of the tomato has a legendary history as aphrodisiac. Sprinkling the tomato slices with a careful selection of herbs can elevate the dish to an even greater aphrodisiac experience. Fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme and tarragon all have attributes that make them aphrodisiac.
What do you know about cheese?
Lastly, you might be surprised to learn that the ingredient at this dish’s base, the musky, creamy cheese, is among our favorite aphrodisiacs in our test kitchen! For starters, cheese keeps your mouth healthy by making you salivate. It’s true! Cheese triggers your mouth to water, which actually helps cut down on gum disease. But beyond healthy gums and a kissable mouth, cheese can trigger your brain’s attraction centers. Learn more about the extraordinary powers of cheese.
What to serve with your Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Of course, man cannot exist on salad alone. But if you serve this dish with a side of crusty bread for a textural context and pair it with the right wine,, (we say dry rosé). you just might be in for a night of magic.
Turn a simple salad into a catalyst for romance with this easy, summer recipe.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced herbs
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tbsp sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 3 lg tomatoes
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 large ball of fresh mozzarella fior di latte, or burrata
- fresh herbs to garnish
- In a glass jar, combine olive oil, minced herbs, garlic, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cap jar and shake to emulsify.
- Core and slice larger tomatoes.
- For smaller tomatoes, halve or cut into wedges and toss with a little vinaigrette.
- Slice cheese into disks and layer with the large tomato slices on a platter.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes around the dish.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, drizzle with vinaigrette, and shower with a garnish of fresh-cut herbs.
Pin this recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter