Steel cut oats for dinner? Why not? Oat is really just another whole grain. (It is one, we should mention, with a history as an aphrodisiac.) And steel cut oats, which are oats that have been chopped up rather than rolled, have a texture reminiscent of other grains that have been slow cooked.
We’re featuring this particular oat recipe because it takes the aphrodisiac of oats and layers it with other libido boosting ingredients. We can’t resist a recipe layered with chile and turmeric and topped with a super-sensual poached egg, (yet another aphrodisiac ingredient).
This recipe transforms steel cut oats into something exotic by adding savory ingredients like kimchi and spice. Serve with a fried egg for a complete, vegetarian meal.
- 1 shallot
- 1 in . piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tsp . black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp . white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp . coconut oil
- 1 tsp . dried turmeric
- ½ cup Irish Steel Cut Oats
- 3 ¾ cups vegetable stock
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 free range eggs
- 3.5 oz . kimchi
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Finely chop the shallot, then peel and grate the ginger.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for 2 minutes until fragrant, and put to one side for later.
- Add 1 tsp. of coconut oil to a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the shallot and ginger until soft.
Add the turmeric and sauté for a further 1 minute, before adding in the Irish oatmeal and hot vegetable stock.
- Continue cooking the oats for 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent them from sticking. Season with salt and plenty of freshly-milled black pepper.
- In the meantime, add 1 tsp. of coconut oil to a small frying pan over a medium heat and fry the eggs to your liking.
- Spoon the turmeric porridge into two shallow bowls. Top each bowl with some of the kimchi and a fried egg. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and fresh coriander leaves to serve.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter