We tasted this recipe at the acclaimed Baja spa Rancho La Puerta and knew we had to share this sexy, seasonal twist on a Latin classic. It’s brilliant with tacos of every kind and works well as a healthy sauce or topping for grilled meats, grilled fish and shrimp. The recipe was sent to us with this comment and a couple key tips, “On Rancho La Puerta’s organic farm, they cultivate the squat persimmons known as fuyu, which are ready in the fall. Fuyus are non-astringent (more free of tannins) and get sweeter after picking, but don’t confuse ripening with rotting; chop while still somewhat firm. The larger heart-shaped persimmons are NOT suitable for this recipe. Mango can be used instead of persimmon.”
- 1 c fresh cranberries
- 2-3 tbsp rice wine vinegar unseasoned
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 Serrano or Jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- sea salt to taste
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice or to taste
- 4 whole small fuyu persimmons peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice, or substitute 1 mango
- Cook cranberries very gently in sweet rice wine vinegar until skins pop. Monitor fluid level carefully.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine all other ingredients in a serving bowl, adding cranberries and persimmons last.
- Serve over tacos or other grilled favorites.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter