This asparagus toast is a refreshing change from avocado
At what point did toast become a craze to eclipse the cupcake or food in a bowl? Though I searched the internet, I was unable to pinpoint the exact moment toast was elevated to gourmet status. Most people serve theirs smeared with smashed avocado. Chef Maite Gomez-Rejon of ArtBites transforms bread into ricotta toast.
A toast to feed one chef’s soul? I’ve read some descriptions of avocado toast recipes that the author claims is their modern day soul food. But for Gomez-Rejon, ricotta toast is a vehicle to showcase the versatility of avocado oil.
Best brunch foods
It’s no secret that toast and fat make one of the great culinary unions of our time. Just think of peanut butter and jelly or a simple slice of golden toast smothered in salted butter. It’s brunch or lunch food at its most simple.
A recipe with avocado oil
So when Gomez-Rejon looked for ways to showcase an avocado oil client, she turned to toast. And personally, I think the results are inspired, which is why I asked her if I could share them with you.
Healthy things to put on toast
This healthy ricotta toast recipe swaps the avocado in the trendiest versions of toast for cheese, )which you might be surprised to learn is an aphrodisiac). Then the humble bread is topped with simply seasoned asparagus cooked in the aforementioned avocado oil.
An aphrodisiac toast recipe
And yes, if you’re wondering the slender spears of asparagus are also historically aphrodisiac. In fact, nutrients in asparagus are linked with healthy hormone production.
Lastly, this riff on fancy toast is topped with one of my favorite aphrodisiac ingredients, mint. Although mint doesn’t offer quite the nutritional punch as asparagus, you might be surprised to learn just how many benefits this fuzz-covered, green herb has to offer.
It may not be as trend-driven as avocado toast, but I think it’s safe to say that this recipe for asparagus and ricotta on toast is a food of seduction.
And if you’re still looking for just the right avocado toast, don’t miss my recipe for Avocado Toast with Coconut and Cashew.
Asparagus and Ricotta Toast with Avocado Oil
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Avocado Oil plus more for brushing and drizzling, (Maite recommends AVOCARE)
- 4 slices thick sourdough bread
- 3/4 lb thin asparagus cut into 2-inch lengths
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp mint finely chopped
- 1/2 c fresh ricotta
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the bread on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and lightly brush with Extra Virgin Avocado Oil.
- Bake until toasted on one side – about 7 minutes – then turn over and bake a couple of minutes on the other side.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the lemon juice and let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, stir the lemon zest into the ricotta and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread equal amounts of the lemon ricotta on the toasted bread and top with the asparagus. Drizzle with a little Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, top with fresh mint, sprinkle with salt and serve.
Pin this asparagus & ricotta toast recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter