An easy and vegan green smoothie
It’s almost St. Patrick’s Day and that has me thinking green. And no, a green smoothie has absolutely nothing to do with Irish cuisine. But you can see how this green smoothie would make a perfect St. Pat’s breakfast in bed. But this vegan green smoothie from my cookbook Romancing the Stove: the unabridged guide to aphrodisiac foods, makes a great jump start to the day any time of year.Just throw all the ingredients for this easy, green smoothie in the blender. And before you know it, you’re getting a frothy serving of fruit and vegetables before you’ve even rubbed the sleep from your eyes in the morning shower. Of course, this isn’t just any green smoothie. I couldn’t help but layer the drink with aphrodisiac ingredients including ginger and vanilla to give your libido a tasty little gift.
A note on blenders:
I have two blenders that I love. My red Kitchenaid 5-speed blender that matches my stand mixer has been an indispensable (and fashionable) part of my kitchen for ten years. It is an incredibly durable machine, worth the investment for a lifetime of Pina Coladas. It is perfect for light to medium jobs from producing a chilled cucumber soup to frozen yogurt smoothies. (It’s also great for making this drink.) It has a wide jar, which makes it incredibly easy to clean.
In addition, I have a Vitamix Pro that I cannot live without. I use it every single day. It would make short work of this recipe and is such a durable machine, it can do everything from puree (whole, unpeeled) oranges to make almond butter. It’s pricy but it’s an amazing machine!
This lovely and light "green drink" is made with layers of aphrodisiac ingredients and a health boost from spinach.
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 small ripe bartlett or d’anjou pear peeled, quartered and cored
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root minced
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp agave nectar optional
- 10 ice cubes
- Add grape juice, spinach, pear, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ginger and vanilla to blender. Puree until smooth.
- Taste. If smoothie isn’t sweet enough, add the agave nectar, (it all depends on the sweetness of your pear). For additional tartness, add the last tbsp lemon juice.
- Add ice cubes and blend on high until smooth.
- Divide smoothie between two juice glasses to serve.
Want more of Amy’s aphrodisiac recipes? Check out Romancing the Stove: the unabridged guide to aphrodisiac foods.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter