If you’re trying to spend this year enjoying life more, learning something new or simply expanding your horizons, then we have some news for you. You can now armchair travel your way to Champagne and become a Champagne expert – for free! (Champagne not included.)
Learn about Champagne with the Champagne MOOC course
This unique Champagne-centered online course, offered by Comité Champagne, is the real deal.
It was created by the organization that oversees all Champagne growers and producers. Although the course targets those already in the wine profession or considering a career in wine, it is open to everyone who wants to learn about Champagne, considered the world’s greatest sparkling wine.
How this course works
The program is broken up into four videos, each presented by Jérémy Cukierman, Master of Wine and featuring experts working in the Champagne industry. (The videos are presented in English with subtitles.)
- First, study the Champagne-making process.
- In the second module, get to know the Champagne terroir.
- The third section will present the history and economy of the Champagne region.
- The final section is a Champagne tasting course. This, the most fun section, explores the varieties of Champagne and how to taste them for evaluation. (Of course, you will have to provide your own French wine.)
What will you learn from the Champagne MOOC course?
This comprehensive course covers Champagne from the planting of the vine to the etiquette of serving Champagnes and sparkling wines. You will learn:
- The range and diversity of Champagne wines
- The history of the Champagne region and the wine
- The stages in the life cycle of a Champagne vine
- The stages of making Champagne
- The sustainable efforts set forth by the industry to protect the environment
- The economic impact of the industry
- How to taste and serve Champagne wines
- Thoughts on pairing sparkling wines with food
Bonus content includes mini videos sharing the perspectives of Champagne makers and growers, including Alexandre and Jean-Jacques Cattier. And recently added is a webinar series covering even more specific information on Champagne like the use of selected vs native yeast with members of the Comité Champagne, including Sarah Durand, Wine Education Projects Manager. The entire course to become a Champagne expert is estimated to take just under 5 hours to complete.
Get certified as a Champagne expert
For those willing to pay for an exam, there is a premium version with an evaluation module for 49 euros, (approximately $55 USD). For this small fee, you will gain access to additional instructional videos. The premium version is considered the professional-level Champagne certification program.
Please note that the Champagne exam is only available in English and French.
The MOOC certification
And after successfully completing the module’s quizzes, you will be awarded with the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Certificate of Completion. If you are a wine professional looking to further your Champagne education, this model is an ideal opportunity to expand your knowledge from the comfort of your home.
How to enroll in this Champagne Specialist program
To enroll, go to the Champagne MOOC website and sign up. Here, you will have to choose between the two versions. Both offer four modules but a free version has limited resources and does not include the certificate of completion.
If you’re learning about Champagne for fun, the free course is sufficient. But if you’re considering a career in wine or are working in the wine industry and looking to obtain the Champagne MOOC certificate, you will have to sign up for the premium version.
Become a Champagne master on your own timeline
The online course is available 24-hours/day, so that you can become a Champagne master on your own time. Cheers!
Vinyard photo by Jean-Charles Gutner, Champagne glasses photo by Osmani Tavares Barbosa, (photos courtesy of Comté Champagne)
- The Best Brown Soda Bread Recipe (traditional, Irish brown bread) - February 21, 2024
- Oats Benefits for Male Sexual Health (Including Oatmeal) - February 14, 2024
- Best Inexpensive Valentine Champagne (Recommendations for Any Romantic Occasion) - February 13, 2024
Did you know that eating the right foods can be the key to boost your sex life?
Subscribe to the Eat Something Sexy mailing list and get our exclusive list of Six Great Sex-Boosting Snack Foods for FREE!