Nothing says “I love you” like a heart on a plate. Ok, there are many things that say, “I love you” in a far less corny fashion. (Yes, heart-shaped food is ridiculously corny but it is also very sweet.) And if your lover is into bacon, the endearing gesture of bacon hearts is a true gift. It makes the ultimate heart-shaped breakfast presentation. That’s why I’ve created this simple guide to cooking heart-shaped bacon.
What bacon is best for making bacon hearts?
While you might guess that you want to use the thinnest cut of bacon possible to make this recipe, I find that thinly sliced bacon is hard to work with. Instead, this heart bacon recipe calls for thick-cut strips, sliced in half lengthwise. The thickness makes them easy to shape.
The recipe calls for applewood smoked bacon. I think the smoky flavor of hardwood smoked bacon is sexy but if you have a preference for a different, thick-cut bacon, by all means, use your favorite.
Cooking thick-cut bacon in the oven
If you’re a pan fry person, you’re going to love learning how to cook bacon in the oven. This relatively mess-free method for cooking bacon is not only fast but it can produce perfectly crisp, crunchy strips (or hearts) of bacon.
You do need one (not so) special piece of equipment for this oven-baked bacon recipe. Your baking tray must have a lip on all four sides to keep the bacon grease from running off the pan and into the bottom of your oven. If you don’t already have a baking sheet like this, you can order one from Amazon. Here’s a link to the one I recommend:
Because we’re using thick-cut bacon, you’ll need to gauge the timing for yourself because it can change, depending on the thickness of your bacon. But in general, this quick trick for making bacon hearts only takes about ten minutes. Check the oven frequently the first time you make this bacon recipe to make sure your hearts don’t burn.
Incidentally, if you’ve never cooked bacon in the oven before, this is a great technique for cooking regular strips as well. Because you don’t have the splatter you get from cooking bacon in a pan, the cleanup is quick.
Heart-shaped bacon makes an endearing topper for soft scrambled eggs. (Think Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed.) They are also incredibly charming as the centerpiece on an open-faced BLT. (See the link to my favorite variation on a BLT below.) You can use them any way you would normally use bacon but I think the trick is finding a presentation that showcases your love on the plate.
I’d love to hear how you serve your heart-shaped bacon. If you come up with a great way to display these crispy hearts of salty goodness, share a photo in the comments below.
More great bacon recipes:
Heart Shaped Bacon
- 6 strips of thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, (or your favorite thick bacon)
- Preheat oven to 425 degress.
- Cut the strips of uncooked bacon in half lengthwise.
- Like a baking sheet, (one with a lip around all four sides), with parchment. (Lining the baking sheet is optional but it does prevent sticking.) Using a baking sheet with an edge is a must because it keeps the grease from running into your oven.
- Shape each of the 12 slices into hearts, with the two ends meeting at the point. If you can, tuck one end under the other to try to keep the hearts from falling apart during cooking. (Remember that bacon shrinks as it cooks.)
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until the bacon is crisp. (Depending on thickness, the bacon may need to cook longer. Check it frequently until it is crisp and golden.)
Pin this easy heart-shaped food DIY:
This article was written in 2018 and was most recently revised in February 2023 with updated links.
- The Best Brown Soda Bread Recipe (traditional, Irish brown bread) - February 21, 2024
- Oats Benefits for Male Sexual Health (Including Oatmeal) - February 14, 2024
- Best Inexpensive Valentine Champagne (Recommendations for Any Romantic Occasion) - February 13, 2024
Did you know that eating the right foods can be the key to boost your sex life?
Subscribe to the Eat Something Sexy mailing list and get our exclusive list of Six Great Sex-Boosting Snack Foods for FREE!