This recipe is a variation on the Garden Tomato & Avocado Picnic Sandwiches in Amy Reiley’s award-winning aphrodisiac cookbook, Romancing the Stove. We thought it captured the romance of spring flavors (and would make a rather aphrodisiac treat when packed on a picnic for two!). The original is completely vegetarian however, we added our own twist for carnivores by layering with super sexy bacon. And as a nod to spring and summer produce, we recommend adding thin slices of breakfast radish.
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1-1 1/2 tsp whipped or softened butter
- 10 slices garden tomato (about 1 medium tomato)
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 slices smokey bacon
- 4 breakfast radishes thinly sliced (optional)
- to taste salt and black pepper
- Thinly spread 2 slices of bread with the butter. (Use just enough butter to cover the slice.)
- Top each buttered slice with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle the tomato with salt and pepper to taste then add the (optional) radish slices and 2 strips of bacon to each.
- Remove skin from the avocado and mash to a chunky paste.
- Spread half the avocacdo on each of the 2 remaining bread slices.
- Form sandwiches, cut in half and either serve immediately or pack up for a picnic. (Sandwiches will last for about 4 hours.)
Want more of Amy’s aphrodisiac recipes? Check out Romancing the Stove: the unabridged guide to aphrodisiac foods.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter