Frosting on another level
Crème fraîche is one of my food obsessions. If you’ve never cooked with this decadent, slightly sour cream, you’ve been missing out all your life. I thought I’d tried every possible application for crème fraîche…until someone asked if I’d tried crème fraîche frosting.
What?! Why didn’t I ever think of that, a woman as obsessed with cake as I’ve been most of my life. (I did write a book called Eat Cake Naked after all!) The experiments began immediately. I used Chrysta Wilson’s Cream Cheese Frosting as my base recipe, only after a couple of tries I decided to omit the vanilla (too distracting). The final crème fraîche frosting recipe is one that offers the powerful tang of crème fraîche balanced by the unbridled sweetness of powdered sugar. It’s a wonderful topping for all sorts of cakes from red velvet to this chocolate avocado cake.
Chef’s tip for the best crème fraîche frosting
I will say that the consistency of this crème fraîche frosting varies from batch to batch. It seems dependent both on the temperature of the kitchen and the brand of creme fraiche. You might be tempted to make a more stiff frosting by addition extra powdered sugar. Do not to this! You will wreck the balance of flavors. Instead, try refrigerating your frosting to see if you can get your desired consistency and if not, spoon it over your cake.
This 3-ingredient frosting recipe offers an undeniable tange and a smooth, silky consistency.
- 3/4 c creme fraiche
- 4 oz unsalted butter softened
- 2-2 1/2 c powdered sugar sifted
- Combine the creme fraiche and softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat on medium speed until fully mixed and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, with the mixture on low. Continue to add the powdered sugar until you’ve added 2 cups. If it is not at your desired thickness, continue to added powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time up to 2 1/2 cups. (The final frosting will be slightly softer than buttercream.)
- Mix on medium speed until the frosting is completely smooth.
Pin this recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter