One unforgettable cake with two aphrodisiacs
I am thrilled to share this Chocolate Avocado Cake recipe, which dares to combine two of our favorite aphrodisiacs here at Eat Something Sexy. Chocolate cake is, of course, a classic. Don’t forget, chocolate is one of the world’s most popular aphrodisiac ingredients. And it’s not all just a cliché! Learn more about chocolate in our dictionary of aphrodisiac foods.
Of course, what takes a chocolate cake recipe like Maite’s Chocolate Avocado Cake and almost guarantee’s great results is cooking it in a bundt pan. And baking it in a bundt pan helps ensure even cooking and moistness. I learned the secret of the bundt years ago from Chrysta Wilson, author of Kiss My Bundt and one of America’s greatest proponents of the bundt pan. You see, the shape of the bundt pan–with the hole in the center?–allows the cake to cook evenly with optimal moisture. I’ve made hundreds, literally hundreds of bundts and I have to agree with Chrysta. They are nearly always perfect thanks to this genius pan!
But add avocado to make a chocolate avocado cake? It may sound outrageous to some, but avocado can make a delicious baking fat, helping to make a perfectly moist, irresistible cake. (And of course, avocado is an aphrodisiac of legendary repute. In addition to a long, folkloric history as an aphrodisiac, avocado is an excellent source of vitamin E. And vitamin E is also known as the sex vitamin.)
Thank you to Chef Maite Gomez-Rejon for this truly sensual chocolate cake recipe.
And if you’re loving Maite’s idea of a sensational Chocolate Avocado Cake, you might want to try more of her recipes, like this Asparagus and Ricotta Toast with Avocado Oil. And be sure to check out her cooking classes and culinary art history tours through her website, ArtBites.
This cake recipe combines the goodness of chocolate with the richness of avocado to produce a perfectly moist cake.
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cup ½all-purpose flour
- cup ½almond flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup avocado oil plus a little more for coating the cake pan
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut lengthwise, pitted and mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Coat a 10-inch bundt pan with a little avocado oil. Dust with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Place the chocolate and cocoa powder in a glass or stainless steel bowl over a double boiler. Stir gently until melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, mix the all-purpose and almond flours, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder at low speed.
- In a separate bowl whisk the mashed avocado, avocado oil, water, vinegar, vanilla extract and both sugars.
- Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add the chocolate and beat until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the chocolate ganache. Heat the heavy cream and vanilla extract in a small saucepan until it starts to simmers.
- Remove from heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- When the cake cools, invert onto a platter and pour the warm ganache over it. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Pin this Chocolate Avocado Cake recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter