This lassi recipe comes to us from Nandita Godbole’s A Dozen Ways To Celebrate: Twelve Decadent Indian Feasts For The Culinary Indulgent. We love Nandita’s philosophy that food should be experienced, not just consumed. Her Fig & Tulsi Lassi offers an experience that hints both at the flavors of summer and something sensually exotic.
This is an elixir packed with aphrodisiac ingredients. It includes some favorites, like honey and fig as well as basil, which many people are surprised to learn is aphrodisiac. It is a drink to be savored and shared with someone you love. For more of Nandita’s recipes and insights, check out CurryCravings.com.
- 3 c plain Greek yogurt
- 8 Black Mission figs stems trimmed
- 1 c cold water
- 2-4 tbsp sugar
- 15 leaves fresh holy basil or fresh mint (do not substitute with fresh Italian basil)
- 1/4 c sliced almonds for garnish
- 3 tbsp honey for garnish
- 1 tbsp tsp sweet basil seeds for garnish, optional, soaked in water
- Combine the yogurt and figs to a smooth puree in a blender.
- While the motor is still running, slowly pour in the cold water, ¼ cup at a time until fully combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar. Blend and taste for sweetness. The natural sweetness of the figs and yogurt will determine if you need more sugar. (Add up to 2 additional tablespoons if needed.)
- Once the desired sweetness is achieved, add the holy basil leaves and give it one last blend.
- Check again for sweetness and adjust if needed. All the ingredients should be well combined now. (The holy basil leaves can also be reserved until just before serving as part of the garnish.)
- Pour the lassi into tall drinking glasses or champagne flutes to show off the color; garnish with sliced almonds, drizzle honey on top and sprinkle some sweet basil seeds (optional).
- Enjoy chilled.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter