A stuffed turkey breast recipe for a weeknight, date night or dinner party
If you want one recipe you can pull out of your back pocket to suit any occasion, look no further. This simple but elegant stuffed turkey breast recipe is one I use for everything from a family meal to date night. Now, it does take a little planning and about an hour of cooking/resting time. But you won’t believe how easy it is to whip up this entree that, I like to think, is impressive in both presentation and flavor.
A dinner party dish packed with good-for-you ingredients
I do love to see my guests eyes light up when I present this dish. But for me, the best part about this turkey recipe is how surprisingly healthy it actually is. The mushroom filling helps make the recipe deceptively decadent. The complex, earthy notes of the mushrooms infuse the turkey with moisture and flavor. And they also bring some health benefits to the dish that might surprise you.
Beyond the fact that mushrooms are among the world’s most highly regarded aphrodisiacs, they’re low in calories. And they’re considered a good source of B vitamins, selenium, potassium and fiber. And they’re even a source of protein.
You can prepare the stuffed turkey breast with domestic mushrooms like Crimini. But I recommend mixing it up with half domestic mushrooms and half wild mushrooms, like the Chanterelles that are in season in fall and winter. (You can use all wild mushrooms, particularly if you’re serving this dish for a special occasion, but because wild mushrooms can be pricey, I recommend using a combination of decadent and inexpensive varieties.)
Of course, mushrooms don’t provide the only nutritional boost in this stuffed turkey recipe. Although the finished dish offers a fairly modest amount per serving, we can’t disregard the fact that kale is among the best foods for women’s sexual health.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb assorted wild or domestic mushrooms all dirt brushed off, chopped fine
- 1 medium shallot diced fine
- 1 bunch (approx 8 leaves) kale cleaned and dried, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 – 3+ pound whole turkey breast with skin boneless
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil then the butter. When the butter is melted, add the mushrooms, season with salt. Once the mushrooms start to sweat, add the shallots. Brown the mushroom mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale on top of the mushrooms, season with salt. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until the kale softens. Fold everything together, cook over medium heat until all liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Transfer to a colander over a bowl. Set aside to cool. Can be made 1 day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place turkey on work surface, skin side down. Cover with plastic wrap and pound with a sauté pan or rolling pin to create a more even surface; remove plastic. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the mushroom mixture evenly leaving a one inch gap on all sides. Starting from a long side, roll the turkey breast like a jelly roll. Tie with butcher twine at 1-inch intervals to hold a loaf shape. Brush with oil, season with salt and pepper, and place in lightly oiled shallow baking pan.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into filling registers 150°F, approximately 45 – 60 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board; let stand 5-10 minutes, remove butcher twine before carving.
Pin this Stuffed Turkey Breast recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter