A tequila hot toddy? Why not? Most hot drinks fall into the category of Hot Toddies. The history of these beloved cocktails, unsurprisingly, is full of lore. Barroom histories say as much about the teller of the tales as the drinks themselves. And the Hot Toddy is no exception.
You Say Taddy, I say Toddy
From the Hindi palm sap beverage, taddy, that was enjoyed by the Brits in India in the 17th century, to the anything-goes hot spirited concoction of today. Hot Toddies have been warming weary souls for centuries.
What’s in a hot toddy?
The basic recipe includes a spirit, (originally whisky or rum), sweetener, citrus and hot water.
The hot toddy is not only historically relevant to pubs and bars, it was considered to be legitimate medicine well into the 20th century. Doctors prescribed toddies for all, even young children. Though the age restrictions have changed, many people still swear by the healing properties of warming spirits and good dose of Vitamin C from the citrus in the form of a delicious, soothing hot beverage.
A hot tequila drink on a tropical holiday
Today “hot toddy” is more of a category of drinks rather than a specific recipe. The components remain the same: spirits, sweetener, citrus, and hot water. But, from there, it’s all about getting creative with what you have available. Bartenders and cocktail recipe developers world-wide have pushed the limits of their imaginations in creating new spins on this classic. But what’s the best liquor for a hot toddy? That’s up to you!
For my hot toddy with tequila, I’ve focussed on the curative aspect of the drink. Honey, lemon, and ginger are all home remedies I turn to throughout the winter. They soothe scratchy throats, warm the belly and provide lively aromas for a slightly stuffy nose
But do you know what else is great about the ingredients in my tequila toddy? They’re all aphrodisiacs!
As for the spirit in this spin on a toddy, I chose a mellow, smooth aged tequila. Not only does the tequila provide earthy aromatic backdrop for the ginger and honey, it also reminds me of warmer winters on the Mexican Riviera. And who wouldn’t want to be there right now?!
For more history and tales of different types of hot cocktails, visit me on Wander Eat and Tell.
Miel de Jengibre Tequila Hot Toddy
- 1 packet honey ginger tea crystals I like Prince of Peace brand – Trader Joe’s has a 100% ginger that would work too – add your own honey to taste
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 oz Partida Reposado Tequila or your favorite tequila
- 1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice about 1/4 of a lemon
- 5 + drops Scrappy’s Firewater tincture or your favorite spicy bitters
- In a mug, dissolve the ginger honey crystals in the boiling water, add the tequila and fresh lemon juice, and a few drops of spicy bitters. Adjust to taste.
Pin this hot tequila cocktail recipe:
This post may contain affiliate links.
- A Hot Sorrel Drink Recipe with Caribbean Rum - December 15, 2022
- Easy Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Roll Recipe with Wild Mushrooms and Kale - October 7, 2022
- Homemade Prawn Thai Green Curry Recipe - June 5, 2022
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter