A decadent recipe from a well-known name
This flourless chocolate almond cake recipe is our pick for a decadent Easter or Passover dessert. It comes from Scharffen Berger’s cookbook Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate. It incorporates Scharffen Berger’s excellent baking chocolate, Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet. (If you’re not familiar with Scharffen Berger, this American chocolate company has been producing world-class chocolate since 1997. The name may also be familiar to you as a sparkling wine producer. And, yes, there is a connection.)
This chocolate cake has a lot to offer
We love the richness such a dark chocolate brings to this decadent cake. And, although the total time to make this cake start to finish is almost 2 hours, only about 15 minutes of that time is active. The rest is cooking and resting, leaving you free for other pursuits while the house fills with the aromas of melting chocolate. Best of all, the cake is wheat and gluten-free, yet rich with aphrodisiacs including chocolate, coffee and almonds.
This flourless chocolate cake recipe combines the richness of premium dark chocolate, espresso and almonds.
- 6 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1/4 cup espresso or double strength coffee
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almonds toasted and finely ground
- Confectioners sugar for sprinkling optional
- Whipped cream optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease and flour the pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In the top of a double boiler or in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and coffee, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool slightly.
- With a hand held mixer, or heavy-duty mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar until ivory colored. Add the egg yolks, two at a time. Continue to beat until the mixture is light and airy. Fold in the chocolate.
- In a clean dry bowl using clean dry beaters, whip the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Gradually beat in the remaining two tablespoons sugar until the egg whites are stiff but not dry. Fold the ground almonds into the whites.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Place the pan in the oven and immediately turn the heat down to 350 degrees F. Bake 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 325 degrees F. Bake an additional 45 minutes.
- 10. Turn the oven down to 300 degrees and bake 15 to 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave in the oven, with the door ajar, for another 30 minutes.
- 11. Cool on a rack.
- To serve: Remove the sides of the pan and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Serve slices with whipped cream, if desired.
If you love this recipe, you should check out the whole book. Essence of Chocolate is available from Amazon.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter