A burger makeover with American Bison
This week, I’m sharing one of the most popular recipes from my award-winning cookbook, Romancing the Stove: the unabridged guide to aphrodisiac foods. This twist on a barbecue classic not only works well in a seductive setting, its a crowd pleaser perfect for a weekend gathering. For my Coffee-Kissed Buffalo Burgers, I love changing out the beef for lower fat, higher protein American bison (aka buffalo). It definitely makes for a more aphrodisiac burger. But bison isn’t the only ingredient making this dish a winner in the games of seduction.
Burgers with coffee?
I layer my Buffalo Burgers with coffee, which brings an earthy richness to the ground meat. It’s truly a flavor like no other. Coffee is one of my favorite aphrodisiac ingredients. (Didn’t know coffee was an aphrodisiac? Check it out in my guide to aphrodisiac foods.) The amount of coffee in these burgers shouldn’t be enough to keep you up all night–unless you want to be up all night…But many of my aphrodisiac burger’s fans report feeling a surge of energy after indulging in this twist on a classic.
A burger with health benefits
And believe it or not, it’s not just the coffee that’s makes this buffalo burger recipe great for your sexual prowess. As I explain it in the cookbook, buffalo, or American bison, makes a great alternative to beef. It’s lower than beef in cholesterol and calories, higher in protein and iron. You may not consciously realize it but these are things your libido desires. Most buffalo is raised grazing on grass instead of manufactured feed and synthetic hormones. Because it’s grown trendy in recent years, buffalo is now widely available and is even sold in many mainstream grocery stores.
Love bison? You might also be interested in this recipe for Herb-Marinated, Grilled American Bison.
Coffee-Kissed Buffalo Burgers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp fine coffee grounds
- 1 lb ground buffalo or 4 buffalo patties,
- 1/2 sweet onion cut into rounds
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 slices ripe tomato optional,
- 2 whole grain sandwich rolls The sandwich is designed as open-faced is to help keep the meal light for a romantic evening. To serve a crowd, feel free to use full buns for practical purposes!
- Mix salt, pepper and coffee grounds into the ground buffalo and form 4 burger patties with 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush grill with cooking oil and heat to high.
- Cook burgers for 3-5 minutes per side depending on desired doneness, flipping once. (Because of its low fat content, buffalo will become tough if overcooked.)
- After burgers are flipped, add onion rounds to the grill. Grill onions on 2-3 minutes per side.
- Top each half of the buns with 1-2 tsp oyster sauce. Add a tomato slice (optional) and 1/4 of the grilled onions. Top with a burger and serve open-faced.
- If you are only serving 2 burgers, save the second bun and toppings separately, in the refrigerator, for up to 48 hours.
- *The recommendation to serve the sandwich open-faced is to help keep the meal light for a romantic evening. If you're going to be serving burgers to a crowd, (particularly outdoors), feel free to use full buns for practical purposes!
- (The ground buffalo mixture can also be used to make meatballs. Just brown lightly in a sauté pan and serve with pasta or as an appetizer with oyster sauce for dipping.)
For more of my recipes for seduction, check out my cookbook, Romancing the Stove: the unabridged guide to aphrodisiac foods.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter