Get on an exclusive tour of a closed-to-the-public fish market in Barcelona
Barcelona is a fish lover’s town. The Spanish have a true appreciation for seafood dishes – and fish of every size and description. And for restaurateurs, one of the most important places in Barcelona, Spain, is the wholesale fish market. And now, the public can get in on a special Barcelona food market tour of this exclusive fish market.
Of course, this wholesale fish market is closed to the public. Or, at least, it was until the Majestic Hotel and Spa arranged a very special tour of this world-class market.
A Barcelona fish market tour led by a marine biologist
For this one-of-a-kind tour, marine biologist Anna Bozzano, the fish market’s only approved tour guide, leads participants through this European fish market.
Guests are introduced to the day’s catch in both marine and culinary detail. Seafood specialties on showcase are likely to include such local favorites as hake, monkfish, langoustines and cod. But you just never know what you’ll find.
This seafood lovers’ experience is an opportunity available only to Majestic Hotel guests. But it is worth the stay just to have this gastronomic experience. (And you’re sure to love your accommodations at this 5-star, luxury hotel. More on the magic of the Majestic later.)
How you will discover Spanish cuisine through this fishermen’s market experience
Fishermen’s market tour participants will get to witness chefs barter for their daily specials. This is what you can expect your Majestic Hotel fish market experience to include:
- You’ll gain insight into what fish are important to Spanish cuisine and how the local catch impacts the local food scene.
- The tour includes a seafood tapas experience in the fishermen’s neighborhood, “La Barceloneta.”
- The day ends with dinner at the hotel, prepared from today’s catch.
More Barcelona food market experiences
Of course, the fish market is not the only unforgettable market to visit in Barcelona. This city is a food lover’s paradise. And although the Majestic Barcelona’s fish market experience led by a marine biologist will get you into an exclusive Barcelona market, there are several food halls and markets worth visiting that are open to everyone.
- Mercat de la Boqueria is the food market Barcelona. It is also one of the largest markets in all of Europe, so be prepared to be overwhelmed by fruits, meats, cheeses and, of course, tapas bars. The market is popular with both locals and tourists so be prepared for crowds.
- Mercat de Sant Antoni is another great market but one with a quieter, slower pace than famed Boqueria food market. It also offers a variety of goods but has many takeout stalls for sampling prepared foods.
- Mercat de Santa Caterina is one of the markets in Barcelona for you if your passion is charcuterie and cheese. At the heart of this market, you can find Can Marti Jordi, a cheese and charcuterie business opened in 1927 and is still run by the same family. While at this Barcelona market, don’t mist Bar Joan.
Keep in mind that Barcelona is also a city with great street food and there are exciting street food experiences at nearly every turn.
About the Majestic Hotel Barcelona
If you want to experience the one-of-a-kind fishmonger tour, you’ll have to stay at the Majestic Hotel Barcelona. But don’t worry, this will not be a hardship.
The Majestic Hotel & Spa is one of Barcelona’s most luxurious historic hotels. It is a great place to spark some romance–and learn about Spanish cuisine through their remarkable fish tour.
It is located in the heart of stylish Passeig de Gracia. In case you’re not familiar with Barcelona’s culture, Passeig de Gracia is one of the city’s major avenues. It’s a shopping district known for its significant architecture.
The hotel offers 5-star hospitality and a unique spa. Butler service is available to guests of any of the penthouses. And the hotel even offers a scooter service. (Picture yourself clinging to your lover as you create Spanish memories on your scooter built for two!) For more on the hotel and this special fish market tour, visit the Majestic website.
And if this has your mouth watering for seafood but you can’t rush off to Barcelona, Spain, just visit our index of great seafood recipes.
This article was written in 2017 and most recently updated in July 2021.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter