Romantic picnic recipes are among our specialties here at Eat Something Sexy. And one of the things we’ve learned over the years that will make a picnic or any romantic occasion memorable is the unexpected.
This recipe for watermelon with chili powder and lime on a stick offers the unexpected in two ways. First of all, if you’ve never tried the combination of watermelon with chili powder and lime, your tastebuds will be in for a new flavor sensation.
Then there’s the presentation. Sure, anyone can pack a container of watermelon wedges. But imagine the surprise of peeling the lid off of that container to reveal little heart-shaped watermelon chili powder “lollipops”? Yes, it’s silly but in an absolutely charming way.
Using chile and lime with fruit
Chile and watermelon are not an uncommon combination in Mexican and Southeast Asian cuisines. But we don’t use this succulent combo nearly often enough in American cooking.
Adjusting the level of spice
This simple watermelon appetizer/dessert/snack recipe uses just a hint of chile because I enjoy spicy flavors in small doses. But if you’re looking for more heat, adjust the amount of chile to your taste. Just be sure to balance it with the appropriate amount of salt and lime. This refreshing kabob recipe is all about the balance of flavors.
Why you must use fresh lime in making these watermelon skewers
And about the lime juice…I consider fresh lime juice to be the secret to making the recipe for these watermelon chili powder treats come together. The acidity in lime makes a beautiful partner for many fruits. What it does is accentuate the fruit’s natural sweetness. (This use of lime works well not just with watermelon but honeydew, apples, cucumber and many others of our favorite fruits. Even if you don’t plan on adding chili powder, try serving watermelon with lime!)
Incidentally, lime is among our 10 Best Foods for Women, so it brings more to the recipe than an acidic bite!
Special equipment for making chili lime watermelon skewers
To make these skewers you do need some “equipment” you may not have laying around your kitchen. First of all, you will need bamboo skewers. I like the 8-inch skewers for this fruit skewer recipe but the more common 10-inch size also work.
You’ll also need a heart-shaped cookie cutter. The one I use to make the watermelon hearts is about 2 inches. If you don’t already have one, check out this cookie cutter set, which comes in a variety of sizes, (including one big enough to make heart-shaped sandwiches).
Serve these watermelon treats at a romantic picnic or backyard party
This dish is fun for a picnic and the watermelon fruit skewers travel well. It may offer flavors that appeal to party guests of all ages. (These watermelon appetizers also work well as catering skewers if you’re looking for inspiration.) But this refreshing watermelon recipe is most definitely a very appropriate date night recipe.
And to add to the aphrodisiac qualifications of these fruit skewers, there’s the grapes. A burst of sweetness for the last bite, grapes offer texture and bright flavor. But you may be surprised to learn that grapes are also aphrodisiac.
In other words, this watermelon with chile recipe offers more than just a a burst of sweetness and heat. These watermelon appetizers are the kind of food for bringing some heat to a romantic picnic or summer dinner for two. If you’re needing a jump start in the romance department, rev things up with these refreshing chili watermelon kebobs.
More great watermelon recipes
Chili Lime Watermelon Skewers
- 1/4 of a large watermelon sliced into 3/4” rounds
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp chile powder (if you like a lot of heat, you can try substituting with Aleppo pepper or Cayenne.)
- 1 lime halved
- heart-shaped cookie cutter approximately 2-inch size
- 8-inch or 10-inch bamboo skewers
- Cut out hearts from the watermelon, discarding the rind. Try to space them as closely as possible to use as much of the fruit as you can. The discards can be used in smoothies or fruit salad.
- Skewer each heart from the bottom, being careful not to push the skewer all the way through the fruit.
- Using a mortar and pestle, combine the chile and salt. (If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can do this is a small bowl with a spoon, pressing the chile powder slightly to release its oils into the salt.)
- Just before serving, sprinkle each heart with the chile mixture.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime over each heart. Add additional lime to taste.
Pin this spicy watermelon skewer recipe:
- The Health Benefits of Bison Meat for Men - November 27, 2023
- Best Amazon Cyber Monday Deals in Food and Health for 2023 - November 27, 2023
- Vegan Roasted, Stuffed Kabocha Squash - November 17, 2023
Get on our mailing list