Discover the sex appeal of curd
Curd is one of those foods that’s at once very proper and incredibly sexy–and grapefruit curd can even make a bitter citrus sensual.
Silky and a bit mysterious to those who’ve never made it, this curd combines the sensations of creamy butter with the tang of pink grapefruit. And it’s one of the most versatile condiments you can make. This is how the recipe’s creator, Chef Diane Scalia, Tour Maestra of Los Angeles’ critically acclaimed Melting Pot Tours describes it. “Pink Grapefruit Curd may be spread on toast, crackers or shortbread cookies and its irresistible on Belgian“Speculoos” cinnamon cookies. It also works brilliantly with cheeses for dessert or as the perfect condiment for breakfast in bed. Spread on pancakes, waffles, crepes or, just dip and share with fingertips.”
Pink Grapefruit Curd with hint of Strawberry and Basil
- 4 ripe strawberries hulled, cutquarters
- finely grated zest and fresh-squeezed juice from 1 pink grapefruit approx 1/2 - 3/4 cup juice
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves torn by hand into tiny pieces
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 oz) cut into small pieces
- Over a small bowl, press strawberry pieces through a fine sieve, pressing with the back of a spoon to yield about 1/4 cup or more of juice; use remainder of berries in sieve in a smoothie!
- Place strawberry juice, grapefruit zest and juice, basil leaves, sugar, and eggs in metal bowl, whisk all ingredients to combine well, then add butter pieces.
- Over simmering water in medium saucepan, place bowl (double-boiler fashion).
- Whisking constantly, cook until thickened and smooth, and instant-read thermometer registers 160F, about 5-7 minutes. Do not overcook as eggs will begin to coddle!
- Remove bowl from heat immediately, and strain with fine sieve set into another (preferably glass) bowl.
- Serve warm or place waxed paper directly over curd and allow to cool/chill completely. May keep refrigerated for up to one week.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter