Our resident chef & mixologist, Annette Tomei, offered us this cocktail recipe based on her favorite Caribbean memories and her knowledge of what a powerful aphrodisiac watermelon can be for men.
A watermelon cocktail for a romantic evening
Watermelon makes our Top 10 Foods for Men. That’s largely because it offers nutrition to benefit men’s sexual health. But there’s no reason to think this sexy, scarlet fruit can’t be alluring to both sexes.
Best of all, watermelon is one of the world’s most hydrating fruits. And as I’ve discussed many times on this site, hydration can be key to a fulfilling sex life.
But this drink made with watermelon features more than just one aphrodisiac ingredient. In fact, everything you add to this sexy cocktail recipe is historically considered aphrodisiac.
Cucumber is a fruit best known as an aphrodisiac for its suggestive shape. But it is also a healthy ingredient with several nutrients that will support sexual health as well as skin and joint health. Who doesn’t want a cocktail that can give their skin a glow?
Fresh mint also makes my list of the world’s greatest aphrodisiacs. But when for date night, the two best aphrodisiac additions to this spicy watermelon cocktail recipe are the rum and the chile bitters.
Like all spirits, rum can raise body temperature and lower inhibitions, potentially improving your changes of getting lucky.
As for the chile bitters, Annette adds these to give this spicy watermelon drink an immediate tongue-tingling effect. And that impact is what I love about chile as an aphrodisiac. Not only can chiles make your tongue tingle, they will make your lips plump slightly with kissable softness. And, like the rum, chiles can help raise your body temperature and get you in the mood to tear off all your clothes.
What is a rum punch?
We’re calling this drink a rum punch. According to Difford’s Guide, punch may be the earliest type of cocktail. A traditional punch involves fruit, sugar, a spirit such as rum or brandy and spice. In this blended watermelon cocktail, the sweetness comes from watermelon and the chile adds the spice.
Rum punches were among the most popular drinks, particularly among the British, for centuries but fell out of fashion in the Victorian era. A recent resurgence of batch cocktails have put punches back on the map.
Tips for making fresh watermelon cocktails
Although watermelon is a fantastic ingredient for summertime cocktails, fresh watermelon juice is not the easiest ingredient to work with.
When watermelon is pureed, even in the best blender like my beloved Vitamix, it still contains pulp. And that pulp not only adds (a possibly unwanted) texture to this watermelon juice cocktail, it turns the watermelon juice an unappealing shade of gray-ish pink.
In order to make this drink as a mixologist-worthy cocktail, you will need to strain the watermelon juice by pushing it through a fine mesh sieve. The remaining watermelon pulp can be discarded or you can find another use for it like adding it to your breakfast smoothie.
How to turn this recipe into a frozen watermelon cocktail
As Annette mentions in the notes for this refreshing drink, you can turn this watermelon rum punch into a frozen cocktail. Just follow the instructions in “notes” on adding two cups of ice and the rum to the blender.
Serve it as a non-alcoholic watermelon drink
You can make a virgin version of this mixed drink with watermelon.
If you want to make this watermelon juice cocktail into a non-alcoholic drink, just follow the variation for a frozen cocktail. But skip the rum for a refreshing, summer juice drink everyone will love.
Watermelon Rum Punch
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- leaves from 2-3 sprigs of mint
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6-8 oz rum I use Diplomatico Mantuano
- spicy chile bitters I use Hellfire from Scrappy Bitters
- place the watermelon, cucumber, mint leaves, and salt in a blender pitcher. If you’re using a food processor you may need to work in batches.
- Start on slow speed until roughly chopped, then increase speed and blend until smooth (1-2 minute) – if your equipment tends to get hot, work in batches to prevent heating the ingredients.
- Strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer. This step is optional but yields a more attractive, stable final product.
- At this point, the juice may be enjoyed on its own, or proceed to making a cocktail.
- For each cocktail, put 1.5-2 ounces of rum into a mixing glass filled with ice. Add 10-12 ounces of juice and 2-4 dashes of bitters. If you have a shaker, shake well. Otherwise, stir. Fill a serving glass with crushed ice (cubes are fine too) and strain the cocktail into the glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Pin this watermelon drink recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter