Don’t throw out those carrot greens!
Although not historically aphrodisiac, those green tops from your carrots, (aka carrot greens), you typically throw away pack a lot of the nutrients to super-charge your libido. (According to the World Carrot Museum, carrots are a good source of potassium and magnesium. They also contain vitamins C and K as well as protein. However, we recommend buying organic carrots. Farmers generally assume that the greens won’t be eaten and spray the plants with chemicals. So to be safe, choose pesticide-free.)
And since we hate waste, we’ve figured out something to do with those greens rather than relegate them to the compost pile. By combining them with sweet corn, basil, mint and one of our favorite aphrodisiacs, cheese, we’ve elevated carrot greens to the centerpiece of an easy and romantic weeknight meal.
This simple summer pasta recipe is a no-stress way to get a great meal on the table. You'll be surprised how delicious the tops of carrots can be, when cooked into a simple, seasonal dish.
- 8 oz dried Pappardelle pasta
- greens from 2-4 carrots (enough to make 2 cups roughly chopped)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 5 basil leaves chiffonade
- 5 mint leaves chiffonade
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ear sweet corn
- sea salt
- 1/2 c pasta water
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Fontina cheese
- Bring 3-4 quarts salted water to a rapid boil.
- When water is boiling, cook pasta for 10-12 minutes, or according to package instructions. (Before draining pasta, reserve ½ cup of the cooking water.)
- While the pasta is boiling, wash the carrot greens thoroughly then chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until it starts to turn golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the basil, mint, lemon zest, carrot greens and corn. Saute until the greens have just wilted, about 2-3 minutes. (Do not overcook.) Remove from heat.
- When pasta is cooked, drain, remembering to reserve ½ cup of the liquid.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauté pan with the cooking water and toss thoroughly.
- Toss with the cheese before serving.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter