Who knows pasta better than The National Pasta Association? That’s what we thought when they sent us this Smoked Salmon Pasta recipe. (One taste and we’ll bet you’re going to agree.) But what we love best about this dish isn’t the pasta, it’s the light spin they’ve put on cream sauce.
By using low-fat milk in combination with reduced-fat sour cream, they’ve managed to cut the cholesterol, (which is bad not only for your heart but also for your sex life). Yet thanks to the sour cream, the sauce maintains body and richness. We also like that slight tang the sour cream brings to the dish. It pairs nicely with smoked salmon.
Ingredients in this decadent-tasting pasta dish
We’ve already covered the fact that the sauce is going to be made from an incredibly smart and creamy blend of milk and sour cream. But there’s so much to love about the other ingredients as well!
Smoked salmon – The star of this dish in my opinion, omega-3-rich salmon is an aphrodisiac and a protein source that can support overall health. It gives you the kind of energy you need to get through the day and (hopefully) into a night of passion. And the salty, smokey quality of the fish adds a pop of flavor to the final dish.
Pappardelle – The recipe calls for pappardelle pasta. These broad, flat noodles originated in Tuscany. They’re typically served with heavy, hearty sauces. Another reason we love this unexpected twist of Smoked Salmon Pappardelle. The noodles are typically made with wheat flour but you can find versions made from other flours if you’re trying to avoid gluten.
White wine – Whenever you cook with wine, make sure you choose a wine you’d want to drink on its own. Never use something sold as cooking wine. The wine imparts a hint of its flavor into the dish so for this or any other recipe you cook with wine, make sure it’s one you’d drink on its own.
These are the primary ingredients flavoring this dish but it also calls for tomato paste, extra virgin olive oil, a shallot and fresh dill. (Just make sure to use fresh, not the dried herb.)
I’m all for featuring this easy pasta recipe on your next date night at home. As I mentioned, the dish is layered with aphrodisiac ingredients to help turn your evening from ordinary to passionate. But Smoked Salmon Pasta with Light “Cream” is a pasta recipe suitable for a group brunch. It’s light and pretty and it’s a crowd-pleaser. This is really the kind of pasta that works for any occasion.
Whenever you serve it, to complete the experience, don’t forget an elegant bottle of wine. (Perhaps the one you used in the sauce?) I recommend something acidic, like a Sauvignon Blanc or Dry Gewurztraminer, to cut through the richness of the sauce.
Smoked Salmon Pasta with Light “Cream”
- 8 oz pappardelle or any wide noodle
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup low-fat 1% milk
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dill plus additional for garnish
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 3 oz roughly chopped smoked salmon
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the pappardelle according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- While the pappardelle is cooking, whisk together the sour cream, milk and dill. Season to taste with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Reserve.
- Heat medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and cook the shallots until softened and just starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and push it around to caramelize a bit, about 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Reduce by half, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in the pasta, the smoked salmon and the sour cream mixture.
- Return the pan to low heat just briefly. Don’t overheat or the sauce may “break” and the salmon’s texture will be too firm.
- Divide between bowls and sprinkle with additional dill.
A note on the provided nutrition informationThe nutrition information provided has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin this recipe for Smoked Salmon Pasta with Light “Cream”
- Are Vegans Skinny, Smart & Sexy?: exploring the pluses of a plant-based diet - September 20, 2023
- How To Choose Kitchen Knives: a simple guide for home cooks - September 19, 2023
- Vegan Stuffed Acorn Squash: a healthy comfort dish - September 15, 2023
Get on our mailing list
Subscribe and get our exclusive list of Six Great Sex-Boosting Snack Foods for FREE! Unsubscribe at any time.