Egg salad is tasty. When it’s made right, it can also make a healthy lunch or snack. But is egg salad a food worthy of a site called Eat Something Sexy? It’s hard to sell egg salad as sexy. That’s why I’ve perfected this smoked salmon egg salad recipe. The salty richness of smoked salmon elevates egg salad to something both gourmet and sensual, worthy of a romantic brunch or perhaps a picnic for two.
How to make the best eggs salad with smoked salmon
There are many recipes out there suggesting you add a slice of smoked salmon to an egg salad sandwich. That’s nice. But a basic egg salad is just egg and mayonnaise with perhaps a seasoning of salt and pepper. To elevate the flavor, this recipe blends chopped smoked salmon into the egg salad, creating new texture as well as incorporating the one-of-a-kind flavor of smoked salmon into every bite of egg.
It’s like the difference between scrambled eggs cooked with smoked salmon and a slice of salmon folded into an omelet.
I also add scallions, capers and celery to my egg salad recipe for added texture and flavor. And since I’m recommending this egg salad for a romantic meal, I should add that celery is aphrodisiac and has some surprising benefits to sexual health.
To make hard-cooked eggs
There are two methods for making hard-cooked eggs. The first is hard boiling, where you put the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, you cover the pan, remove it from the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes. You then must transfer the eggs to an ice bath to stop the cooking.
The second way to cook the eggs, which is a little less messy, is to cook them in the oven. Check out my recipe for asparagus in brown butter with hard-cooked eggs for my instructions on cooking eggs in the oven.
You can also cook hard-boiled eggs in an instant pot. I’ve heard it’s great but I’ve never tried it. If you cook your eggs this way, let us know how it works in the comments below.
You can make the eggs for this egg salad recipe several days in advance.
How to serve smoked salmon and egg salad
There are many ways you can serve this salmon egg salad. You can add a scoop on the side with bagels and cream cheese. Or make a main course salad by serving atop wild arugula or baby mixed greens. It also works on toast points as a passed appetizer for a party. But my favorite way to eat this egg salad with salmon is in a classic egg salad sandwich.
Smoked salmon egg salad sandwich
As I suggest in the recipe instructions, I prefer this smoked salmon salad sandwich served on whole grain bread. If you’re going to use store-bought and pre-sliced bread, I recommend looking for thin-sliced. Dave’s Killer Bread makes a good one.
The salmon egg salad should be the star of this sandwich. Some thicker cut, whole-grain breads take the attention away from the stars of this recipe. I like to add a little bit of baby arugula to my sandwich but lettuce is optional.
Smoked Salmon Egg Salad
- 4 large hard boiled eggs peeled
- 1 scallion ends trimmed
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- 1-2 tsp capers (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- arugula and/or whole grain bread for serving
- Finely chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Slice the scallion lengthwise then slice the two halves into half-moons.
- Add the chopped egg, scallion, celery, smoked salmon, (optional) capers and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to a medium mixing bowl. Thoroughly combine.
- Add up to two additional tablespoons of mayonnaise to taste. (We like our egg salad on the dry side and find that two is perfect.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pin this recipe for egg salad with smoked salmon:
- The Health Benefits of Bison Meat for Men - November 27, 2023
- Best Amazon Cyber Monday Deals in Food and Health for 2023 - November 27, 2023
- Vegan Roasted, Stuffed Kabocha Squash - November 17, 2023
Get on our mailing list