A cocktail layered with aphrodisiacs
I’m loving the concept of this drink, invented by cocktail maven Kathy Casey. It was sent to us by Martin Miller’s Gin as a reminder why winter can be a perfect time for gin. I am intrigued by this thyme and honey gin fizz cocktail’s layers of aphrodisiac flavors. (These include honey and thyme.)
Is gin an aphrodisiac?
Now, there are men and women throughout history who declared gin as among the beverage world’s most potent aphrodisiacs. Certainly it is an elixir with an interesting history. The trouble for me is that gin is made in distinctly different styles with a variety of herbal ingredients. Certainly, the mere fact that it is a form of alcohol makes it aphrodisiac. But without known the blend of ingredients in each gin, I’m uncertain. However, whether or not you buy into gin’s aphrodisiac properties, when it’s combine with the other ingredients of this Honey Gin Fizz recipe, I’d say the odds are in your favor for a successful night of romance!
A non-alcoholic alternative
If you’re serving a special someone looking to abstain from the revelry of gin, here’s a suggestion. Try serving the Honey-Thyme Grapefruit Elixir with just the splash of soda. It makes a sophisticated and sensual non-alcoholic alternative to classic soft drinks.
- 1 1/2 oz gin 3 tbsp
- 2 oz Honey-Thyme Grapefruit Elixir 1/4 cup, recipe follows
- 1 - 2 oz soda or sparkling water 2 - 4 tbsp
- slices Garnish: fresh thyme sprig and thinof grapefruit
- 1/2 cup local honey
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 cups fresh squeezed grapefruit ruby or pink grapefruit juice
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fill a Collins or tall glass with ice.
- Measure in gin and the elixir. Top with a splash of soda.
- Stir drink with a bar spoon.
- Garnish with thyme and grapefruit.
- Combine the honey and water in a bowl or pitcher. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the grapefruit and lemon juices.
- Funnel mixture into a pretty bottle and add in the thyme sprigs.
- Let thyme mingle for at least 8 hours before serving and store refrigerated up to 5 days.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter