If you’ve never experienced a crème de cacao cocktail, this one is going to be fun! A creamy liqueur like no other, this spirit is going to be an undoubtably aphrodisiac addition to your home bar.
What is crème de cacao liqueur?
Crème de cacao is a liqueur that’s as sumptuous as it sounds. According to Punch, it was invented in France, possibly as long ago as the 16th century. Rich, creamy and sweet, it was used during Prohibition to mask the flavor of bathtub gin.
Although there are both white and dark versions of the spirit, this cocktail calls for white crème de cacao. Many bartenders prefer the white because dark crème de cacao is often colored with artificial coloring. So if you’re interested in trying dark, be sure to check the ingredients before you buy.
When making white crème de cacao drinks, you have to be careful to create balanced flavor. The spirit tends to have a strong chocolate and vanilla flavor with forward sweetness. It can make remarkably indulgent cocktails, but only when the liqueur’s flavor is balanced with contrasting ingredients.
A crème de cacao cocktail with balanced flavor
In this crème de cacao martini, the liqueur is blended with citrus, bitters and Eclipse rum. Eclipse is a Barbados gold rum from Mount Gay. It is a fairly complex rum with tropical fruit, spice and oak notes from two years of aging. Of course, as with any cocktail recipe on our site, you can use your favorite gold rum in place of the Eclipse.
Whatever rum you use, be sure not to forget the candied ginger garnish. A tiny kiss of spice, this aphrodisiac ingredient really pushes this crème de cacao drink’s sensuality over the edge. Just be sure to serve it to someone you really want to get to know better!
The Monaco Crème de Cacao Cocktail
- 1.5 oz Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum (or your preferred rum)
- 1 oz lime juice
- .5 oz white crème de cacao
- 1 bar spoon agave
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- candied ginger for garnish
- Shake all and strain into a coup glass. Serve straight up.
- Garnish with a candied ginger slice.
- Are Vegans Skinny, Smart & Sexy?: exploring the pluses of a plant-based diet - September 20, 2023
- How To Choose Kitchen Knives: a simple guide for home cooks - September 19, 2023
- Vegan Stuffed Acorn Squash: a healthy comfort dish - September 15, 2023
Get on our mailing list
Subscribe and get our exclusive list of Six Great Sex-Boosting Snack Foods for FREE! Unsubscribe at any time.