A figtastic treat
Sondra Bernstein of Sonoma’s acclaimed The Girl and the Fig restaurant is known for creating dishes featuring one of the world’s most iconic aphrodisiacs, figs. So I always love turning to her in summer for suggestions on what to do with the bounty of fresh figs the season offers. But how do you celebrate the seduction of figs in winter? Sondra creates a sauce with dried Mission figs to top her braised short ribs.
Politely requesting portion control
I usually encourage steering clear of heavy red meats when creating a meal of seduction. Red meat is hard for the body to digest, which means more blood flow is sent to this stomach. This is not only why you might feel tired after a big, juicy steak but it also makes it much harder to feel the tingle of you need to get lucky. The key is to enjoying these succulent short ribs is portion control. Enjoy a modest serving over a serving of sauteed bitter greens like kale, chard or spinach. The sweet decadence of the fig sauce in combination with the bite of the greens will bring beautiful harmony while keeping you from overindulging and spoiling the after dinner delights.
Sondra Bernstein of acclaimed Girl and the Fig restaurant offers this decadent recipe for braised short ribs with black mission figs.
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- ½ cup + 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 6 short ribs 2x3" ribs
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery stalks medium dice
- 1 carrot peeled, medium dice
- 2 medium onions medium dice
- 3 roma tomatoes rough chop
- 10 cups Veal Stock can substitute veal demi
- ½ cup diced dried Black Mission Figs
- 1 bouquet garni
- Mix together the garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, ½ cup red wine, ½ cup oil and sherry vinegar.
- Pour over the ribs and marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat grill or BBQ.
- Scrape the excess marinade off of ribs and season with salt & pepper. Sear the ribs on each side on the grill. Set the ribs aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large roasting pan.
- Add the carrots, onions, celery and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are caramelized.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with the red wine.
- Add the veal stock, dried figs, bouquet garni and ribs.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place pan in oven and roast for 4 hours. Every ½ hour turn ribs and remove excess fat.
- Remove the ribs, smother with sauce and serve.
short rib photo by MJ Wickham
For more figasmic recipes, check out Sondra’s stunning book, Plats du Jour; the girl & the fig’s Journey Through the Seasons in Wine Country
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter