Recipe for Black Bean Chocolate Brownies
Ah, chocolate. The Aztecs may have been the first on record to make the connection between the cocoa bean and sexual desire: the emperor Montezuma supposedly consumed the bean in excessive amounts to fuel his romantic liaisons. True, he may not have enjoyed Black Bean Chocolate Brownies, but if someone had offered them to him, he surely would.
How to make brownies naturally gluten-free
There aren’t really many ways you can go wrong with chocolate. As you know, it’s an aphrodisiac of legendary repute–just ask Montezuma. (Want to learn more? Check out all the aphrodisiac properties of chocolate.)
However, there are always ways to make it more right. I took your typical recipe for brownies and gave it a little healthier makeover by taking out that pesky flour and using nutrient-dense black beans. The result is a moist, delicious batch of Black Bean Chocolate Brownies. And not only is this recipe naturally gluten-free, but it’s also incredibly easy since, instead of measuring flour, you just open a can of beans.
The health benefits of Black Bean Chocolate Brownies
I swear the combination works. And best of all, this sweet treat offers some health benefits you wouldn’t get from an ordinary batch of brownies.
Black beans are not only high in fiber and a source of folate and potassium – both important to your sexual health, but they are also great for your waistline. That’s because they digest slowly in your body, keeping you feeling fuller longer. And they’re low in sugar, which prevents the insulin in your bloodstream from spiking and making you hungry. They’re kind of a perfect food. And mix them with chocolate and then add more chocolate? Get outta here.
Want more chocolate recipes? Check out our recipe index.
Black Bean Chocolate Brownies
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can rinsed and drained)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips at least 70% cacao
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor bowl or blender, combine the black beans, eggs, melted butter or oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, and honey. Pulse or blend until smooth, or as smooth as you can get it.
- Grease an 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Pour the batter into the greased dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (if using) over the top and use a spatula to push them down into the batter just a little (not too much though, they'll sink a little bit while the brownies bake).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until brownies are set in the middle. Watch the edges for excess browning if you're not sure they're done.
Pin this black bean brownies recipe:
- The Best Plant-Based Chili Recipe (Vegan) - October 21, 2022
- Homemade Cauliflower Crust Veggie Pizza Recipe - June 24, 2022
- Spicy Sweet Potato Veggie Burger Recipe - April 26, 2021
Get on our mailing list
Don't miss out on a thing! Get news, deals & more!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!