This is a salad for the sensualist. It is layered with textures from the softness and char of grilled corn to the sweet crunch of the raw, the slippery leaves of wild arugula and, best of all, the burst of tiny finger lime pearls. (Finger lime is a type of citrus native to Australia. It’s named after its shape, which resembles a small, slender finger. More on that later.)
This bright and zesty corn salad, layered with aphrodisiac ingredients, offers a sweet farewell to summer produce.
About using raw corn
You may have never tried raw corn before. If you’re asking yourself whether its safe to eat corn raw, the answer is yes. Most people just prefer the flavor of corn when its cooked. And, according to Vegetarian Times, cooking boosts the antioxidant activity in corn.
However we love the combination of the raw corn with the cooked in this corn salad. When it’s raw, the corn’s flavor is more sweet, although slightly green. And it has an unbeatable “pop” when it’s chewed.
Finger lime substitution
Finger lime is the fruit of a thorny shrub native to Australia. Although it is a citrus, it doesn’t look much like an ordinary lime. Not only does it have an unusual shape but its skin comes in colors ranging from the purple of a bruise to deep, blackish-green.
According to Wikipedia, there’s been a surge in the commercial production of finger limes since the 1990’s. But if you can’t find finger lime, you can substitute with lime zest. (Any lime will do if you’re looking for health benefits. All citrus makes our list of the Best Foods for Women.) But if you ever happen upon finger limes at the market, be sure to make this corn salad recipe!
Grilled and Raw Corn Salad with Wild Arugula and Finger Lime
- 2 ears corn husked and washed
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup wild arugula coarsely chopped
- 1 finger lime substitute with the zest of ½ lime
- pinch smoked paprika
- Over high heat, cook one ear of corn for 2 minutes on each of four sides.
- Remove from heat and rest until cool enough to handle.
- While corn is cooling, make a lime butter by melting the butter and adding the lime juice and salt.
- Remove kernels from both the raw and grilled ears of corn and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Toss with the lime butter.
- Just before serving, toss in the arugula then fold in half the finger lime pearls. If you don’t have finger lime, you can fold in the zest from ½ lime for a similar flavor effect.
- Top with a pinch of smoked paprika, (a little less than ¼ tsp) and the rest of the finger lime.
Pin this Grilled and Raw Corn Salad recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter