A sensual corn salad
This is a salad for the sensualist. It is layered with textures from the softness and char of grilled corn to the sweet crunch of the raw, the slippery leaves of wild arugula and, best of all, the burst of tiny finger lime pearls. (Finger lime is a type of citrus native to Australia. It’s named after its shape, which resembles a small, slender finger.)
This bright and zesty corn salad, layered with aphrodisiac ingredients, offers a sweet farewell to summer produce.
About raw corn
You may have never tried raw corn before. If you’re asking yourself whether its safe to eat corn raw, the answer is yes. Most people just prefer the flavor of corn when its cooked. And, according to Vegetarian Times, cooking boosts the antioxidant activity in corn. However we love the combination of the raw corn with the cooked in this corn salad. When its raw, its flavor is more sweet, although slightly green. And it has an unbeatable “pop” when its chewed.
If you can’t find finger lime, you can substitute with lime zest. But if you ever happen upon finger limes at the market, be sure to make this corn salad recipe!
This easy corn salad celebrates the best of end-of-summer ingredients.
- 2 ears corn husked and washed
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c wild arugula coarsely chopped
- 1 finger lime substitute with the zest of ½ lime
- pinch smoked paprika
- Over high heat, cook one ear of corn for 2 minutes on each of four sides.
- Remove from heat and rest until cool enough to handle.
- While corn is cooling, make a lime butter by melting the butter and adding the lime juice and salt.
- Remove kernels from both the raw and grilled ears of corn and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Toss with the lime butter.
- Just before serving, toss in the arugula then fold in half the finger lime pearls. If you don’t have finger lime, you can fold in the zest from ½ lime for a similar flavor effect.
- Top with a pinch of smoked paprika, (a little less than ¼ tsp) and the rest of the finger lime.
Pin this Grilled and Raw Corn Salad recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter