Discover why these six spice oatmeal raisin cookies are such a hit
We asked chef and aphrodisiac cookbook author Diane Brown if she could send us another one of her romantic party plans. Unfortunately, with the Holiday season upon us, she didn’t have time. What she did instead was send us the best oatmeal raisin cookies recipe we’ve ever tried.
Best of all, she sent an accompanying note along with this exotic cookie recipe, with comments from the illustrious Ruth Reichl, which helps explain how this spiced oatmeal cookies recipe rose to internet fame. Based on user reviews alone, these might be the most popular oatmeal cookies in the world!
Gourmet magazine published my Six Spice Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe in 1997, and it has been the most loved/hated cookie recipe on Epicurious since. It’s racked up 3.5 out of 4 forks. And it has received over 210 reviews. In more recent years, Gourmet magazine’s James Beard award-winning public television show has featured it on their Just Desserts episode. Of all of the dessert recipes in the WORLD, mine was described by Ruth Reichl as “an innocent oatmeal cookie” that builds into “an explosion that takes place in your mouth.”
So that’s why Ruth Reichl loves these cookies. Now we’ll tell you why we’re obsessed with Diane’s Six Spice Oatmeal Cookies.
These oatmeal spice cookies are aphrodisiac
Have you ever heard the baking spices referred to as “warming spices?” They’re given the name because they warm the body from the inside out. And we think warming your body with exotic spices works brilliantly as a prelude to tearing off your clothes. That’s why these perfectly spiced, gourmet oatmeal raisin cookies are aphrodisiac.
Ginger and nutmeg, both used in this recipe feature in our guide to aphrodisiac foods. And so does chile pepper, one of our favorite aphrodisiac ingredients. Even just a hint can make the lips tingle and cheeks take on an attractive flush.
Try these spicy oatmeal raisin cookies with craisins
Here’s a tip for those who don’t enjoy raisins. The cookies also work with craisins. In fact, we think it’s even better with the tart and tangy flavor of aphrodisiac cranberries!
Diane’s 6-Spice Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups old-fashioned or quick-cook oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Sift together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and slowly beat until just combined well.
- Stir in rolled oats and raisins (dough will be stiff).
- Working in batches, drop dough by level tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet 1 minute and transfer to racks to cool completely.
Pin this Six Spice Oatmeal Cookies recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter