These fish cakes take the stress out of seafood
This recipe for a spicy version of fish cakes comes to us from Welsh Chef Emma Evans, founder of The Secret Supper Clwb. And they’re among the easiest seafood appetizer recipes around.
We love them for their aphrodisiac accents. Emma’s fish cake recipe blends the aphrodisiacs of spicy chili and ginger with the mood-boosting Omega-3 benefits of fish. The result is one very sexy and simple package!
Perfect for any occasion
These fish cakes are really right for most any occasion. Serve them as appetizers for a party or picnic or as the main course in a romantic dinner for two. (Note, you can easily change the recipe to 12 larger cakes, for a main dish. Just add a few minutes to the baking time.)
Chef Emma Evans fish cakes make an easy appetizer for a party, or a dinner for the family. Just adjust the size to make 12 cakes for a main course.
- 1 chili deseeded and chopped
- bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 sm bunch spring onions chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- thumb-size knob of ginger grated
- dash of fish sauce
- zest of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to season
- 4 slices (crust removed) bread cut to breadcrumb size
- 1 lb fresh or frozen white fish fillets such as haddock or cod, (defrosted)
- 7 oz fresh skinless salmon
- sesame oil
- sunflower oil
- sweet chili sauce for dipping
- Place the chili, cilantro, red pepper, spring onions, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, lime zest, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs into the food processor and whiz until finely chopped.
- Add the fish fillets and pulse until well combines and the fish has broken down, though don’t overdo it.
- Wet hands and take small amounts of the fish mixture and roll into small balls, place onto a baking sheet.
- When you have made approximately 24 balls, take a spoon and press each ball to flatten it.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to set for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a splash of the sesame oil and a splash of the sunflower oil in a large, flat bottomed frying pan.
- Cook the fish cakes in batches, sauteing for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden. You may need to keep topping up the oil in the pan.
- When the cakes are golden, transfer to a hot oven for 5 minutes to ensure that they are cooked through.
- Serve with a sweet chili dipping sauce.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter