An easy breakfast or snack cake
This is truly one of my very favorite baking recipes. I wish I could claim it as my own, but my friend, Chef Sondra Bernstein gave me this gingerbread loaf recipe for my first cookbook, Fork Me, Spoon Me: the sensual cookbook.
Click the book to order your copy of Fork Me, Spoon Me.
A breakfast in bed recipe for lovers
What makes this gingerbread recipe so special? This sweet exploration in aphrodisiac baking showcase three forms of ginger. (And ginger is considered one of the world’s greatest aphrodisiac foods.) The recipe not only calls for fresh and powdered ginger but a sprinkling of chopped, candied ginger on top.
That candied ginger topping is, to me, what makes this cake a stand out recipe. It adds a chewy texture as well as that head-clearing zing you get when you nibble a piece of candied ginger. I love the effect! If ever a loaf cake could be labeled “sexy gingerbread,” this would be it!
Ginger enjoys a long history as aphrodisiac–and for good reason. It has the ability to raise body temperature and make your tongue tingle. But that’s not all it has to offer. Ginger is associated with improving brain function. That’s a lot of benefits for a ginger loaf cake!
A gingerbread quick bread
Many gingerbread recipes call for making the sweet treat in a cake pan. But Sondra’s easy gingerbread recipe is a quick bread made in a loaf pan. The slices are great for toasting and work not just as a breakfast food or even a midnight snack. (You can see my recurring theme here of eating this cake in bed.)Click here to shop for breakfast trays
It’s a surprisingly simple ginger loaf. But one that has a powerful ginger flavor and the just the right balance of sweet. It’s also a great low-stress brunch dessert and even makes a nice side for a salad with a vinegar-based dressing.
Are you as hungry as I am right now?
Breakfast in Bed Triple Gingerbread
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp crystallized ginger minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature, 1 stick
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp ginger peeled and grated)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. Mix the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger.
- Beat the butter and both sugars in large bowl until the mixture becomes light and frothy. Beat in eggs, 1 egg at a time. Mix in fresh ginger.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Transfer batter to waiting pan. Sprinkle remaining 3 T crystallized ginger over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick, gently inserted into the cake’s warm center, comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and cool completely. Serve slices with vanilla yogurt and a bowl of strawberries.
If you like this recipe from Fork Me, Spoon Me: the sensual cookbook, try the whole book!
Pin this gingerbread breakfast loaf recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter