An easy breakfast or snack cake
If you like gingerbread, you should not wait a minute longer to try this gingerbread recipe comes from our Editorial Director Amy Reiley’s critically acclaimed cookbook, Fork Me, Spoon Me.
What makes this gingerbread recipe so special? This sweet exploration in aphrodisiac baking was created by Sondra Bernstein of Sonoma’s Girl and the Fig to showcase three forms of ginger. The recipe not only calls for fresh and powdered ginger but a sprinkling of chopped, candied ginger on top to give it a craving-worthy flavor, not to mention the added texture. And with that much ginger, this sweet, baking treat is definitely loaded with aphrodisiac power.
To say that ginger is one of our favorite aphrodisiac ingredients would be an understatement. We encourage the use of ginger as much as possible for its proven health benefits and its unparalleled use as an aphrodisiac.
Ginger enjoys a long history as aphrodisiac–and for good reason. It has the ability to raise body temperature and make your tongue tingle. But that’s not all it has to offer. Learn more about ginger’s aphrodisiac allure.
Do you love ginger, too? Don’t miss this gingersnaps recipe.
A gingerbread quick bread
Many gingerbread recipes call for making the sweet treat in a cake pan. But Sondra’s Triple Gingerbread recipe is a quick bread made in a loaf pan. The slices are great for toasting and work as a breakfast food or even a midnight snack. It’s a surprisingly simple gingerbread recipe. So quick to whip up, it works for breakfast or a midnight snack. It’s also a great low-stress brunch dessert and even makes a nice side for a salad with a vinegar-based dressing.
If you like ginger in savory recipes too, check out this Grilled Ginger Sesame Chicken Salad recipe.
This gingerbread recipe from the cookbook Fork Me, Spoon Me features three kinds of ginger for the most powerfully spicy flavor. It's a super-moist bread perfect as a breakfast or snack.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp crystallized ginger minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature, 1 stick
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp ginger peeled and grated)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. Mix the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger.
- Beat the butter and both sugars in large bowl until the mixture becomes light and frothy. Beat in eggs, 1 egg at a time. Mix in fresh ginger.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Transfer batter to waiting pan. Sprinkle remaining 3 T crystallized ginger over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick, gently inserted into the cake’s warm center, comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and cool completely. Serve slices with vanilla yogurt and a bowl of strawberries.
If you like this recipe from Fork Me, Spoon Me: the sensual cookbook, try the whole book!
Pin this Triple Gingerbread Recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter