Watermelon Soup with Jicama Salsa
This watermelon soup recipe offers an incredible array of vibrant colors, textures and flavors. To make a vegan version, use vegan yogurt or omit it entirely.
- 1 lb cubed watermelon weight after cleaning
- 1 English cucumber peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt plus more for garnish, optional
- Optional extra virgin olive oil for garnish
For the Jicama Salsa:
- 1/2 cup small dice of jicama
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1 tsp cacao nibs optional
In blender, combine watermelon cubes, cucumber, lime juice, and salt.
Pulse until broken down then blend on high until well pureed. Pour into a mixing bowl.
Whisk in 1 tablespoon yogurt and the sherry vinegar.
Adjust seasoning as necessary.
Put approximately 1/4 cup Greek yogurt in a sandwich-size plastic bag, or a foodservice squeeze bottle. Snip a small piece of the corner/tip.
Pour soup into a chilled bowl. Squeeze a ribbon of yogurt in a pattern on top of the soup if desired.
Spoon approximately 1-1/2 tablespoons jicama salsa into the center.
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil if desired.