Spanish Cauliflower Rice with Black Beans
Cookbook author Diane Brown's version of rice and beans replaces the carbs with riced cauliflower and adds a heady dose of spice.
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 serrano chile ribs and seeds removed, cut into a small dice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 in head of cauliflower approximately 1 pound, stem, outer leaves and core removed, grateda cheese grater or passed through the grating blade of a food processor
- 1 15- oz can organic diced tomatoes or use fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup homemade or good quality prepared chicken stock
- 1 15- oz can organic black beans rinsed and drained
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add garlic, chile and onion. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
Add the cumin and coriander, cooking for 30 seconds to toast, then add the cauliflower, stirring to incorporate the ingredients.
Season with salt and pepper, then cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes with juices, chicken stock and beans, then season again to taste.
Cover with a slightly cracked lid and cook for about 2-4 minutes, until cauliflower is slightly tender.
Fold in the cilantro and serve.