Make leftover turkey feel like something new
I lifted the idea of using Arborio rice to make congee, a Chinese rice porridge, from Ruth Reichl’s My Kitchen Year. But I have the bounty of leftovers to thank for the inspiration to make a dried cranberry and turkey congee!
Turkey Congee made with Arborio
I find the creamy comfort of Arborio, the rice used in risotto, to be the perfect base for serving turkey leftovers. To it I add the sweet bite of dried cranberries (which are also aphrodisiac). The addition of the cranberries gives the Turkey Congee the same sweet/savory interplay you get from a Thanksgiving dinner. Combine with the crunch of salty peanuts or cashews–which are, of course, aphrodisiac, it makes a surprisingly sensual, simple dish. It’s one of my favorite uses for the leftovers from a Holiday feast.
A sensational use for Holiday leftovers, this Turkey Congee uses Arborio rice fur a rich, creamy base and leftover turkey for the protein. The addition of dried cranberries and salted nuts give it texture and a boost of flavor.
- 9 c turkey stock
- 1 c Arborio rice
- 1 c roast turkey meat shredded or chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lg carrot shredded
- 3-4 scallions sliced into rounds, both white and green
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries chopped
- 1 tbsp roasted salted peanuts or cashews, chopped
- fresh ginger for grating
- high-quality soy sauce
- Add the stock and rice to a stockpot, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Stir and turn the temperature down to a simmer. Simmer covered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- While the congee is cooking, prepare the toppings. (My suggestions are above but feel free to omit any or add others you prefer.)
- Scoop the congee into bowls and top with your favorite ingredients. Grate ginger over the top to taste and add a shot of soy sauce before serving.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter