This recipe is the main course of a romantic meal based around the aphrodisiac of alcohol. Salmon is not only a fleshy, pink fish with an aphrodisiac history, pan seared salmon is a great protein for pairing with aphrodisiac ingredients. In this case, I’m pairing it with juniper, gin and a garnish of (also aphrodisiac) chopped chives.
I’ve designed this salmon recipe for two to be the centerpiece of a boozy-themed romantic dinner I like to call my “hitting the sauce” dinner. The rest of the menu includes an appetizer of tequila mussels and Madeleine cookies with a vodka-lemon glaze. All the recipes are designed for two.
Pan searing salmon
Pan searing is one of the quickest ways to cook fish or any other protein. Many pan fried salmon recipes call for skin-on fish. This one does not, which helps to simplify the technique of searing. The pan cooking of fish is actually a very simple thing. So long as you have fresh fish and a good pan, you’re on your way to a tasty and impressive meal.
The important things to remember about searing salmon is to liberally season the fish. And make sure the pan is hot before you add the fish. Pan searing is a technique where you can’t walk away. The fish cooks fairly quickly. And if you overcook the salmon, it will get try.
However, even if you make a mistake with this easy salmon recipe, you’ll be ok. The salmon is covered in a gin-based, flavorful cream sauce. So even if you make a misstep, the fish will still have flavor.
Pan Seared Salmon with Juniper Gin Sauce
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tsp coarsely crushed juniper berries
- 1/4 tsp coarsely crushed green peppercorns
- 4- oz bottled clam juice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 6- oz skinless boneless salmon fillets
- 2 Tbsp dry gin
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Combine vermouth, shallots, juniper berries, and peppercorns in heavy small saucepan.
- Boil until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 12 minutes.
- Add clam juice and boil until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
- Add cream and boil until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until melted before adding more.
- Strain sauce through fine-meshed strainer.
- Return sauce to saucepan. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature.)
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Add salmon to skillet and sauté until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, re-warm sauce and stir in gin and lemon juice.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon on plates and drizzle sauce over.
- Garnish with chives and serve.
View more of my recipes for Hitting the Sauce
Diane Brown is author of The Seduction Cookbook: Culinary Creations For Lovers. Click to buy it now at Amazon:
- Spicy Asian Chicken Meatballs Recipe with Hoisin Sauce - June 3, 2022
- An Irish Date Night Menu Inspired by St. Patrick’s Day - March 8, 2022
- A Valentine’s Dinner for Two Inspired by the Greek God of Love - February 1, 2022
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter