Red velvet is one of the sexiest cake flavors. No surprise, it is loaded with aphrodisiacs. The cake flavor begins with a vanilla base. (Learn more about what makes vanilla–even just the aroma of vanilla–an aphrodisiac.) The addition of just a hint of cocoa adds richness, as well as another layer of aphrodisiacs. These red velvet sandwich cookies offer the same flavorful goodness only with the cream cheese frosting on the inside, making it the finger food version of this crimson cake. Red Velvet makes what some believe is the perfect Holiday cake, (the red color is a sure thing). And we can’t resist how pastry chef Melanie Underwood, author of Making Artisan Cheesecake, has transformed the classic into a perfect Holiday cookie. We bet this one’s going straight to your “classics” list!
This recipe transforms the flavor of Red Velvet Cake into crimson sandwich cookies with cream cheese filling.
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature, 4 ounces
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment cream together the butter, granulated sugar and light brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- On medium speed, add the egg and mix until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the vanilla and the red food coloring and mix until just blended.
- Turn the mixer off and add half of the flour mixture and mix on low until just incorporated. While mixer is still on low, slowly pour in the buttermilk. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the remaining flour and mix on low just until combined.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the batter (batter should be level in the scoop) and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches part.
Bake for about 12 minutes or until cookies spring back when touched. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before filling with your favorite cream cheese frosting.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter