A warm quinoa salad with a complex medley of flavors
Both quinoa and kale are wildly popular in the health community for their powerful blend of nutrients. But sometimes the health world gets more wrapped up in nutrition than taste. (Face it, left on their own, neither kale nor quinoa is particular seductive.) But combine them in a warm quinoa salad with the creaminess of melting goat cheese, the complexity of some warming spices and add the sweetness of chopped dates to balance the kale’s bitterness and you have a meatless dish to make your lips curl upward, your tongue tingle with excitement and your whole body hum with the boost of vitamins and minerals.
This warm quinoa salad recipe offers a complex array of flavors including creamy, melting goat cheese, the sweetness of dates and the bite of baby kale.
- 1 c quinoa
- 3 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/4 c red onion finely chopped
- pinch dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 8 small dates pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- c ¼chevre crumbled
- 1 c baby kale leaves washed
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- additional cilantro for garnish optional
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, turn temperature to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fully cooked.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat the grape seed oil is a sauté pan. Add the onions, ginger, cardamom and salt to taste and sauté until onions are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the dates, lemon juice, crumbled chevre and the cooked quinoa.
- To serve: divide the kale among four plates, top with the quinoa mixture (so that the heat from the quinoa will wilt the greens) and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter