POM-Cider-Glazed Smoked Salmon by James Boyce, Chef & Owner, Cotton Row, Pane e Vino Pizzeria and Commerce Kitchen, Huntsville, AL courtesy of POM Wonderful
We love Boyce’s recipe for creating hot smoked salmon on the grill. (And by the way, did you know that salmon is a powerful aphrodisiac? It contains several nutrients considered essential to sexual health.) The result is a filet with a subtle smokey flavor and the sweetness of pomegranate. Served over the slightly peppery watercress salad, it becomes an incredibly complex dish with a sensual array of textures and flavors.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (juice from Wonderful variety of pomegranate recommended)
- 1/2 cup POM POMS fresh pomegranate arils
- 2 lbs salmon fillet
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish
- 4 bunches watercress
- 1 carrot
- 1 daikon
- 1 Belgian endive
- 5 lemons
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- sugar and salt to taste
- cracked white pepper to taste
- applewood or cherrywood for smoking on outdoor grill
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice, if necessary.*
- Prepare fresh pomegranate arils, if necessary.**
- Soak wood chips in water for approximately 30 minutes and start outdoor grill 15 to 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- In a saucepan over low heat, reduce cider and pomegranate juice to 1 cup; add honey and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Fold in mustard, chopped dill, horseradish and a pinch of salt.
- Season both sides of salmon with a pinch of sugar and salt; let stand for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove stems from watercress and wash.
- Julienne carrot, daikon and endive; toss with watercress and set aside.
- Once grill is ready, place salmon on foil-covered cardboard.
- Glaze salmon with pomegranate-cider reduction and place soaked applewood on coals and let them start to smolder.
- Place salmon on grill away from direct heat and smoke for approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let salmon rest before serving. (Salmon can be made the day before and chilled.)
- Toss watercress and arils with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place salad in center of plate and sliced salmon on top.
- Drizzle with excess dressing.
* For 1 cup of juice, cut 2–3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
** To prepare fresh arils (if you are not using POM POMS), score 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter