This book comes to us from Melanie Underwood, author of Making Artisan Cheesecake. This week, she’s offering us a perfect summer cheesecake recipe. Because it’s a no-bake cheesecake, you won’t have to slave over a hot oven. Instead, you’ll just whip up something cool, refreshing, creamy, oozy and aphrodisiac. (The recipe includes two of our favorite aphrodisiac ingredients, strawberry and basil.) Melanie comments that this is one of her favorite summer recipes. It offers the flavor of classic cheesecake but in a fast, easy recipe.
- 1 lb strawberries rinsed, hulled, and quartered
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vodka or water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup lightly packed coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground dried strawberries or ground graham crackers for garnish, optional
- In a medium saucepan combine strawberries and granulated sugar over medium heat.
- Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until the strawberries have softened, but still hold their shape and are exuding liquid.
- Meanwhile whisk together the vodka and cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Add the vodka mixture to the strawberries all at once and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in basil, and allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese and mascarpone on medium speed until softened, scraping down the sides of the bowl, underneath the paddle, and the paddle frequently with a rubber spatula, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and continue mixing on medium and scraping down the sides, bottom, and paddle until there are no visible lumps, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and vanilla and mix on low to combine. Set aside.
- Use 6 – 8 ounce or larger glasses.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop (which holds 3-4 tablespoons) fill a level scoop with the cheesecake layer and put one scoop in each glass.
- Spread the filling to make an even layer in the bottom of the glass.
- Fill another level scoop with the cooled strawberry filling and add to the glass, spreading to make an even layer.
- Top with a final layer of cheesecake filling. Spread if desired.
- Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon of the ground dried strawberries or graham crackers.
For more of Melanie’s recipes check out her book, Making Artisan Cheesecake: expert techniques for classic and creative recipes.
FREE APHRODISIAC OF THE MONTH NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our monthly fee aphrodisiac newsletter