Our resident nutrition nutrition expert, Delahna Flagg has done a lot of vegan recipe development over the years. (See her web series with Pamela Anderson, The Sensual Vegan.) She also does a lot of recipe retooling to make recipes healthier for private clients. And that’s where the inspiration for this gooseberry pie recipe came from.
What are gooseberries?
What stood out to us as most intriguing about this pie recipe was the fact that it showcased one of the most underused fruits of summer.
Gooseberries are in season in North America from May through August. Their sweetness is subtle when you eat them raw. But when they’re cooked, they become jammy yet tangy.
We love how this gooseberry pie recipe showcases the natural sweet and sour notes of gooseberries with minimal invasion from added ingredients. (You’ll notice that this recipe calls for just 5 ingredients.)
Gooseberries are surprisingly healthy
Relatives of currants, gooseberries don’t make our list of the world’s greatest aphrodisiac foods but they are loaded with nutrients that will help support sexual health.
They offer vitamin C and flavonols, which are known for supporting heart health. And as we’ve mentioned many times, anything that helps keep your heart pumping, will help blood flowing to all zones of your body, including erogenous zones. In addition, gooseberries are a source of potassium and even manganese, which is much needed for men’s health.
Making a vegan pie
As we mentioned, Delahna’s been working on vegan cooking lately. And this recipe is a reflection of her experience. The filling ingredients in this recipe are all natural and vegan. The crust is where you will have to make your own decision on what to use.
Rather than rolling out traditional pie crust, Delahna uses puff pastry dough cut into circles to make light, miniature pies. And as you can see, these mini pies use a bottom crust, in an effort to keep them lower in fat and calories. We like to think of them as open-faced hand pies.
You can always make your own puff pastry dough. But for saving time, we recommend using your favorite pre-made dough. Just be sure to choose a vegan pastry dough if you’re making vegan version of this gooseberry pie recipe.
Mini Gooseberry Pies
- 1 pint gooseberries*
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 walnuts*
- 1 batch your favorite puff pastry dough
- Slice the gooseberries into rounds and toss with the agave and salt. Soak, covered, in the refrigerator overnight.
- Soak the walnut in water overnight.
- To prepare the tarts, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease the bottoms of one dozen muffin tins.
- Roll out the pastry dough and cut into twelve 2 to 2 1/2-inch rounds. Press the dough circles into the bottoms of the muffin tins.
- Bake for five minutes.
- While the tart shells are baking, blend the walnuts with just enough water to make a thick walnut cream.
- Remove the tart shells from the oven and cool slightly before spreading a dab of walnut cream at the bottom of each tart.
- Layer the gooseberries on top of the tart shells, starting from the outside and making a snail pattern inward. Top with any remaining gooseberry liquid.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges of crust are golden.
- Cool slightly before removing from the muffin tins.
Pin this Gooseberry Pie recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter