Have you ever grilled watermelon?
A big thanks goes out to Chef Eric Finney of the Arizona Grand Resort & Spa. His grilled watermelon salad may be our new favorite barbecue dish. What’s better for beating the heat than juicy watermelon? But you know what makes it even more exciting? Grilling watermelon!
Of course, not only is watermelon a refreshing summer treat, it’s one of the world’s most interesting aphrodisiacs. (Watermelon is also one of our 10 Best Foods for Men. Discover why men in particular need what watermelon has to offer.)
Beyond it’s potential as an aphrodisiac food, watermelon has some benefits that are great for us all. First of all, according to wonderopolis, watermelon is over 90% water? That means it’s remarkably hydrating. It’s also a good source of vitamin C and beta carotene.
And we would be remiss if we didn’t mention that the salad lets additional aphrodisiac ingredients shine. You might be surprised to learn that both arugula and cheese have a history as aphrodisiac. Yep, this grilled watermelon salad is refreshing, it’s nutritious and it offers a trifecta of aphrodisiacs.
A couple of notes from our test kitchen on making the best grilled watermelon salad
Chef Finney, who is known for working in the high-volume kitchens of luxury resorts, attempted to pare this recipe down for the home cook. The amount of watermelon is a little vague but we find that using half of a medium melon is just about right. (Look for something about the size of a soccer ball.)
As the chef notes, using quality olive oil is key for this recipe. One that we’re fond of is La Tourangelle, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The Spruce Eats has a great taste test of several other oils worth discovering.
Incidentally, the chef doesn’t call for it but we like this grilled watermelon salad finished with a pinch of salt and black pepper. But you be the judge.
Grilled watermelon with baby arugula and goat cheese salad.
- 1/2 medium watermelon peeled and cut into rectangles
- 3 tbsp high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 4 c baby arugula
- 1/2 c crumbled goat cheese
- Grill watermelon over a very hot grill just long enough to place nice grill marks on both sides and pick up some flavor from the grill.
- Place watermelon rectangles in refrigerator to cool – you want the watermelon to be very cold when you actually prepare the salad.
- Remove watermelon from refrigerator and cut into uniform cubes.
- Combine the olive oil, arugula and goat cheese in mixing bowl and gently toss in the watermelon before serving.
Pin this Grilled Watermelon Salad recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter