Banana bread made over by healthy eating expert Vanessa Vanya
I’ve loved banana bread since I was a little girl. Some of my fondest recipes are of my mom making my grandma’s banana bread from the sorry, brown, forgotten bananas in the hanging fruit basket.
Now that I’m a bit older and don’t have that same cheetah-esque metabolism I did as an 8 year old, I find high-sugar, buttery banana bread to be a little dangerous to my health (and hips).
So I’ve made over my grandma’s recipe into a healthy banana bread I can eat and still slip into my sexy jeans. I’ve also injected a few health benefits that are sure to support a healthy libido and the rest of the body, too. It was easy, since the main ingredient, banana, is a well known aphrodisiac. Here’s my strategy:
Healthy banana bread strategies
1. Substitute white, refined sugar with date sugar. Literally just ground up dates, date sugar is loaded with vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, iron, copper, polyphenols, antioxidants, selenium and is a huge source of potassium. White sugar has nada. Date sugar is also packed with fiber, protein, and carbs, which will aid in healthy digestion and help you feel fuller longer.
2. Substitute butter/margarine with coconut oil. Coconut oil is high in fat and has about the same amount of saturated fat as butter but don’t be fooled. Coconut oil has been proven to aid in digestion, weight loss, heart health, and can boost your immune system. It’s also wonderful for your skin, so if you cook a little sloppy, no worries, just rub that oil on your hands to firm up your skin.
3. Substitute white enriched flour with whole wheat and oat flours. White enriched flour has been bleached and had all fiber and anything with any nutrients extracted. It’s basically sugar and that’s how your body is going to process it. Whole wheat flour contains vitamins, minerals, protein, calcium and iron. I also used oat flour because it adds nutrition and a nutty slightly sweet flavor. Oat flour has been proven to reduce certain types of cancer, treat mild diabetes and osteoporosis, is gluten free, and strengthens cardiovascular health and lowers cholesterol levels.
4. Add walnuts. Walnuts are packed full of Omega 3 Fatty Acids–the highest ratio of any nut. We need Omega 3 Fatty Acids for a number of reasons but largely to reduce inflammation. They are essential for optimum health. As well as containing a ridiculous amount of minerals and vitamins, walnuts also reduce stress. Can’t handle Bikram Yoga? Eat some walnuts!
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy the results.
Healthy eating expert entices the senses and feeds libido with this healthy and easy version of a classic banana bread.
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup of date sugar
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1 1/4 whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Cream together coconut oil and date sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add beaten eggs and pulverized bananas.
- Combine well.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mix and add vanilla.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
Recipe keeps well in the refrigerator.
This healthy take on my grandma's banana bread comes out a deep golden brown (because of the date sugar) and is the perfect amount of sweet and savory. Enjoy for breakfast or any time of the day while wearing your well fitting sexy jeans.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter