Espresso Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
If you’re looking for a cookie recipe with a sophisticated flavor, you’re going to love this. It starts with your basic chocolate peanut butter chip cookies but takes it to a whole new level with the addition of espresso – a known aphrodisiac. These are seriously the best peanut butter chip cookies you will ever try.
Espresso makes this the best chocolate peanut butter chip cookies recipe
In fact, espresso is a star here not only because it is one of our favorite aphrodisiac ingredients. (Although it does help make this cookie a great homemade gift for your lover.)
The coffee brings a richness to this peanut butter chip cookies recipe and an earthy note that keeps the cookie from being too sweet. Believe me when I say, this is no ordinary peanut butter chocolate cookies recipe! But trust me, if you love peanut butter and you love chocolate, this is decadent chocolate peanut butter cookie recipe is one you must try. Think gooey, melting peanut butter chips, the rich sweetness of premium chocolate and that unmistakable flavor of great coffee. So good!
TO TRY: Leah’s Iced Lemon Sugar Cookies
For a gourmet espresso chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips experience, try pairing these cookies with wine
This recipe is created by one of our favorite bakers, Leah Kuo. And Leah is a noted expert not only on baking but also on cookie and wine pairing. That’s right, pairing cookies and wine is a real thing!
This particular peanut butter chip cookie was originally designed for a red wine pairing project I worked on with Leah. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how well these chocolate peanut butter espresso cookies pair with with an earthy Pinot Noir or perhaps a classic red blend from Bordeaux.
RELATED: Unlocking Food Pairing Secrets
Some notes on baking the best peanut butter espresso cookies
This espresso, peanut butter and chocolate cookie recipe calls for Dutch cocoa powder. It is important that you don’t use natural cocoa powder in place of Dutch. I also recommend looking for a high fat cocoa powder.
These tend to cost a little more than most of what’s sold on your grocery store shelf but if you care about a deep, chocolate flavor in your cookies, the investment is worth it. (If you don’t want to splurge, here’s our recommendation for the best stuff from Hershey’s, or you can check out my favorite cocoa in the link below.)
Order my favorite cocoa powder from Amazon
Finding peanut butter chips
Peanut butter chips aren’t as common as chocolate chips. The most popular brand is Reeses peanut butter chips but Toll House also makes them. If you can’t find any in the baking aisle of your local grocery store, try Amazon.
And if you want to try modifying this recipe for a vegan version of these chocolate and espresso peanut butter chip cookies, Minimalist Baker has a recipe for homemade vegan peanut butter chips that sounds delicious.
Use premium chocolate in this peanut butter chip chocolate cookie
Another note on chocolate is that the recipe calls for premium semi-sweet chocolate. Do not skimp on the chocolate! As any chocolate lover will tell you, gooey, melting chocolate is the best part of any chocolate cookie, including this one. I usually use the baking chocolates from Scharffenberger or Callebaut but Trader Joe’s makes a pretty good one, too. It’s definitely worth checking out, especially if you’re baking on a budget.
RELATED: 10 Tips for Better Baking with Chocolate
Espresso Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter softened but still cool*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 16 oz semi-sweet premium chocolate chopped
- 10 oz peanut butter chips
- Adjust racks to upper and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and remove from heat. Allow cooling to room temperature but do not allow re-hardening.
- Combine the eggs, espresso powder and pure vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Beat in sugars until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer on low, gradually pour in the egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the chocolate in a steady stream and beat until combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated. With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in peanut butter chips by hand. Do not over beat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 2 hours.
- Roll the dough into 2 oz balls and space about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake until the edges of the cookies have begun to set but the centers are still very soft, about 14 minutes, rotating the sheets from front to back and top to bottom halfway through the baking time.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool the cookies on the sheets for 10 minutes, slide the parchment with the cookies onto wire racks, and cool to room temperature.
Pin this unforgettable chocolate peanut butter chip cookie recipe:
- Male vs Female Nutrition Needs - May 12, 2023
- A Cognac and Elderflower Cocktail Recipe Perfect for Date Night - May 6, 2023
- Get Seriously Citrusy with the Best Patrón Citrónge Margarita Recipe - April 27, 2023
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!