A sneak preview
Author Nandita Godbole shared with me this Coconut Fudge recipe as a sneak preview of her upcoming book, Not For You: Family Narratives of Denial & Comfort Foods Book 2. And, of course, I just had to share this one. It combines the unmistakable flavor of coconut (also an aphrodisiac as I recently learned) with one of my favorite aphrodisiac ingredients, cardamom. (You might remember the Persian Love Cake from Fork Me, Spoon Me: the sensual cookbook?)
The magic is in the method
The recipe is fairly simple but keep in mind that it requires constant attention. The trick is the continuous, rhythmic stirring while the mixture transforms from clarified butter and sugar to a creamy, thick fudge. It is the perfect recipe for cooking together with your sweetie. Or prepare a box full as a sweet, romantic surprise.
Adaptable for a vegan diet
Nandita let me know that the recipe adapts well to vegan cooking, should you want to make a ghee-free version. I haven’t tried it myself, so let me know how you like it!
- ¼ cup ghee
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut or unsweetened frozen grated coconut
- 1 cup or less sugar
- 1/2- 1 cup Mango pulp optional, available at ethnic markets
- ½ tsp green cardamom seeds finely crushed
- 2 tbsp cup Chirongi nuts or slivered almonds for decoration, optional
- Grease a 9” x 9” or smaller shallow, square/rectangular glass cake pan with 1 tsp. ghee and set aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a deep, nonstick pan.
- Sauté the fresh coconut in the hot ghee until it sizzles and appears lightly toasted.
- Add half the sugar and allow to coconut to absorb the melting sugar.
- If using the mango pulp, gradually add it to sweeten, adding no more than ¼ cup at a time. Stir and allow the mixture to thicken in between additions. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Cook for 10 minutes or less while continuing to stir, on medium low heat until the mixture is doughy and sticky and begins to leave the side of the pan.
- Sprinkle in the cardamom powder when the mixture begins to separate from the sides of the pan, and stir to ensure it is completely mixed.
- Carefully pour the hot fudge into the prepared pan and flatten quickly with the back of a spoon before it cools.
- Sprinkle the nuts and score the fudge.
- Cool for 1-2 hours until the fudge sets semi-firm. Cut into squares and set to chill. Enjoy!
Pin this recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter