Why should you massage your kale?
Kale is one of those superfoods that’s hard to get into. It’s flavor is slightly bitter and its texture is tough. So what if it’s an aphrodisiac if you can’t enjoy it? But massaged kale is a whole different story. It might seem weird at first to give a bowl of greens a rubdown but just think of it as a prelude to a night of seduction. Because when it’s massaged right, the kale is tenderized. The leaves will shrink and as that happens, they lose their bitterness. And suddenly kale is a key ingredient for an aphrodisiac meal. Here I used it to showcase the simple, delicate flavors and slippery textures of scrambled egg and oyster mushroom, each an aphrodisiac in its own right. Then I topped it with cheese and sesame seeds–two more aphrodisiacs. And just to make sure this meal had it all, I added fresh tangerine juice, which is on my list of the 10 Best Foods for Women. Get ready to turn kale from an ordinary, chewy, old green into a vehicle for passion.
This warm salad with scrambled eggs works well as a breakfast/brunch dish but it's also great for dinner.
- juice of 1 tangerine
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 6 cups roughly chopped curly kale thick stems removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 oz oyster mushrooms
- 3 tsp butter separated
- 4 large eggs
- I tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk for 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Add the kale and olive oil to a large mixing bowl. Massage the kale with the oil for 1-2 minutes until all the leaves are coated and soft. Set aside.
- Separate oyster mushroom clusters into individual mushrooms. Lightly rinse off any dirt.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt 2 tsp of butter. Add the oyster mushrooms in a single layer. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Do move the mushrooms—don’t prod or sauté. Allow them to brown slightly before flipping. Repeat on the other side.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, crack the eggs into a small mixing bowl and scramble with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Remove the oyster mushrooms from the pan and add them to the bowl of kale.
- Melt the remaining teaspoon of butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Coat the pan then add the eggs. Scramble lightly until just cooked.
- While the eggs are cooking, add the sesame seeds, Parmesan and dressing to the bowl of kale. Toss the mixture to coat.
- Top the salad with the scrambled eggs. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter