When I find a great cookie recipe, I make it over and over. And although these raspberry linzer cookies take a little extra work, they belong in the keeper file.
A memorable raspberry jam cookie recipe
This isn’t my recipe but one from my friend and cookbook author Carla Snyder of Ravenous Kitchen. She says these refined and delicate Linzer Cookies are party favorites in her house and always the first to disappear from the cookie tray.
Look, I’m a lazy baker and this much rolling and cutting usually isn’t my style. But I have to agree with Carla. These Linzer Cookies are a crowd-pleaser!
Why Linzers are worth the effort
What makes this linzer cookie recipe worth the extra effort?
For starters, the dough of this traditional. Austrian cookie is flavored with the sweet and bitter notes of aphrodisiac almonds. A pinch of clove, considered one of the “warming spices” in the aphrodisiac world, adds complexity to the flavor of the buttery cookie dough. And then, sandwiched between the two cookie disks is a scarlet slash of aphrodisiac raspberries. It’s easy to see why nobody can resist these cookies.
Equipment needed for this Linzer Cookie recipe
You will need two cookie cutters in specific sizes to make Linzer cookies. Carla’s recipe calls for a 2 1/2 inch round and a 1 1/2 inch round. As you can see from the photo, Carla uses a cutter with a ruffled edge for the outer ring. I’ve also seen variations that use a round for the outer ring and a shape, such as a heart, for the center. Use any cookie cutters you prefer, just make sure the sizes are in the right scale.Buy cookie cutters
You will also need a good food processor to grind the almonds or pre-ground almond “flour.” In addition, you will want to have parchment paper on hand for the rolling. Once you’ve assembled the right equipment, this is a fun, though somewhat time consuming, cookie recipe to make.
Raspberry Linzer Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- additional powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Wisk to blend.
- Beat the powdered sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and add the dry ingredients by the cupful.
- Stir in the almonds.
- Divide the dough in half and roll it out to about 1/8-inch thickness between 2 sheets of parchment.
- Chill on a cookie sheet until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Working quickly, cut out rounds with a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter and cut the center out of half the rounds with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter. Re-roll the scraps, chill and cut out more in the same manner. Keep the cut out cookies cold.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Bake the cookies, all solid rounds on one sheet, tops with holes on another, on parchment lined sheet pans for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Watch the cookie tops with the holes as they may take a minute or so less to time to bake.
- Cool the cookies on wire racks and spread the solid rounds with raspberry jam.
- Top each cookie with a ring and sprinkle powdered sugar over all.
For more of Carla’s recipes, visit the Ravenous Kitchen website.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter