We recently tried this healthy shrimp recipe at a charity event and thought it smacked of summer. The lemon yogurt and the aphrodisiac of mint give it a seasonal freshness and the shrimp puts an aphrodisiac spin on summertime appetizers. (Learn more about the aphrodisiac side of shrimp.) The recipe was given to us by Celebrity Cruises. Turns out, the dish is often featured on the high seas. Of course, while it’s fun to imagine yourself forking this shrimp in some exotic locale, we think the dish is made for backyards and summertime entertaining.
A healthy yet flavorful spin on shrimp that's perfect as an appetizer.
- 2 c bulgur
- 1 c vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper small dice
- 1 green bell pepper small dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper small dice
- 1 c celery small dice
- 1 c carrot small dice
- 1/2 c Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 c mint finely chopped
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 2 c non-fat Greek yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 30 shrimp
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 15 cured cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c chives finely chopped
- Add dry bulgur to salted, boiling stock off the stove.
- Cover and set aside until liquid is absorbed.
- Add the peppers, celery, carrots, parsley, mint oil and lemon juice and mix well.
- Mix the lemon zest into the yogurt.
- Toss shrimp with Cajun spices and saute on both sides until done.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Toss the tomatoes with the chives.
- Place 1 1/2 tbsp lemon yogurt sauce on the bottom of each of 10 appetizer plates.
- Add 2 tbsp bulgur salad beside the yogurt sauce on each plate.
- Place 3 Cajun shrimp on top of the bulgur and drizzle with 1 tsp of the lemon vinaigrette. Garnish with the tomatoes,
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter