A surprisingly healthy appetizer
We recently tried this healthy shrimp recipe at a charity event and thought it captured the essence of summer in a bite. The lemon yogurt and the aphrodisiac of mint give it a seasonal freshness. And the shrimp add the briny note of being by the sea. (And of course, shrimp are aphrodisiac, which makes us want this recipe even more!) The recipe is from Celebrity Cruises. And thankfully, they were happy to share. But if you don’t feel like making it yourself, you can always just book a cruise. It turns out, the dish is often featured on the high seas. Of course, while it’s fun to imagine yourself forking this shrimp in some exotic locale, we think the dish is made for backyards and summertime entertaining.
About bulgur wheat
If you’re not familiar with bulgar, or bulghar as it is sometimes spelled, that’s ok. It’s a very easy ingredient to work with, even if you’ve never used it before. Bulgur is basically the groats of wheat. Before packaging, the whole grains are par boiled and cracked. This means once you bring it home, bulgur cooks fairly quickly and easily. In this healthy shrimp recipe, it’s tossed with veggies and used as a base to hold the shrimp.
Want to try more bulgur recipes? Check out this Minted Bulghar Salad with Pine Nuts and Feta.
A healthy yet flavorful spin on shrimp that's perfect as an appetizer.
- 2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper small dice
- 1 green bell pepper small dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper small dice
- 1 cup celery small dice
- 1 cup carrot small dice
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 30 shrimp
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 15 cured cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chives finely chopped
- Add dry bulgur to salted, boiling stock off the stove.
- Cover and set aside until liquid is absorbed.
- Add the peppers, celery, carrots, parsley, mint oil and lemon juice and mix well.
- Mix the lemon zest into the yogurt.
- Toss shrimp with Cajun spices and saute on both sides until done.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Toss the tomatoes with the chives.
- Place 1 1/2 tbsp lemon yogurt sauce on the bottom of each of 10 appetizer plates.
- Add 2 tbsp bulgur salad beside the yogurt sauce on each plate.
- Place 3 Cajun shrimp on top of the bulgur and drizzle with 1 tsp of the lemon vinaigrette. Garnish with the tomatoes,
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter