Golden beets give brown rice salad an aphrodisiac spin
Chef Diane Brown offers us this easy brown rice salad featuring the finest of (aphrodisiac) seasonal produce. Diane uses a rice blend from Trader Joe’s that has brown rice, black barley and radish seeds, but you could use a blend of wild rice and brown rice as well. The dish is great as a side but also works well as a light supper or lunch. Pack it for a spring picnic and make some romance happen!
This rice dish celebrates all the best flavors of winter and early spring. Serve it as a side dish to grilled or braised meats or as a simple, vegetarian lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 leeks white and light greens sections, cut into rings, well washed
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 1 cup brown rice or brown rice mixture (wild rice, red quinoa, barley)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- teaspoon salt plus salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 head kale tough ribs removed, leaves cut into small pieces
- 3 golden beets washed and trimmed, roasted in foil packet, cut into slices
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
In a saucepan, heat olive oil to a shimmer over medium-high heat.
Cook leeks and garlic until tender while stirring, about 5 minutes.
Add rice and stir with oil and leek mixture, allowing to slightly toast the rice, for about 2 minutes.
Add stock and salt, stir, then cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked but slightly firm.
Cool and fluff with a fork.
In a skillet, heat another tablespoon of olive oil, and cook kale until bright green.
Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine orange zest and juice, vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
Mix the kale with the rice, beets and dressing. Season with salt and pepper, serve or hold in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter