A bean salad done the aphrodisiac way
Beans and barley are both ingredients that will supercharge your body in a number of ways. You’d typically find them combine in soup but since we’re fans of texture, this bean salad puts them in a completely different context.
This is (sort of) our version of beans and rice. But here, the beans and rice meet a spicy, and slightly piquant cabbage and cilantro salad. The result offers the creamy softness of cooked beans with the crunch of cabbage, the spice of Serrano, the golden hue and amazing health benefits of turmeric and the tang of Balsamic all in one simple dish.
Have beans, will travel
You can serve this barley and bean salad as a side dish or the main course of a light, vegetarian meal. It’s the perfect thing to take to a potluck. It also packs well for picnics.
Love beans? Don’t miss Diane’s recipe for Cauliflower “Rice” and Beans!
- 2 cup barley
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1 deseeded Serrano pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- Soak kidney beans for two hours before beginning to ensure they only take one hour to cook.
- Barley will take 45 minutes to cook and the beans will take 1 hour. You can use the same pot but be weary of the timeline.
- Toss in 2 cloves of garlic with the beans and barley.
- Cook till done.
- Once done rinse in a colander with cold water and then spread beans and barley onto a cold sheet tray to stop cooking quickest.
- Sprinkle a light coat of turmeric and salt so the still warm ingredients will absorb the properties quickest.
- Finely chop all vegetables- that's it!
- Mix in beans and barley.
- Dress with balsamic to your liking. (Keep in mind the ingredients are highly absorbent and may need a little freshening up.)
- *I did not use oil in this recipe because of the starch of the beans however for a little glisten to your salad I recommend grape seed oil.
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter