A bourbon cocktail and dessert in one
Annette Tomei created this ultimate Bourbon cocktail for us. We think it’s a drink and dessert in one. If you can’t decide between cocktails and dessert, this is your dream drink! It is a four-way cultural mix: from the US, northern strawberries and southern spirit; from Italy, northern Balsamic vinegar and southern-style lemon granita… And they all come together in delicious harmony. And with its sophistication, we think it’s a drink suitable for a Kentucky Derby viewing party…at least, it’s what we serve.
How to make a layered bourbon lemon cocktail
This cocktail recipe is like bourbon lemonade but taken to new heights of sophistication. However note that some of the prep work for this bourbon and lemon cocktail must be done in advance. The macerated strawberries, (strawberries that have been softened by soaking in liquid, in this case balsamic), takes a minimum of one half hour. But the strawberries can be prepared up to one day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
If you are making homemade granita, you will also have to make this in advance so that it has time to freeze. This Kentucky Derby recipe recommends either using your favorite recipe or purchasing prepared sorbet. Once you’re ready to prepare the cocktail, be sure to pour it slowly over the granita to get the layered effect.
Serve it for your Kentucky Derby party or for a date
We billed this as one of the best bourbon drinks for a Kentucky Derby viewing party. But this cocktail still fulfills our philosophy of serving you recipes worthy of your next date night. And when you consider this modern cocktail’s ingredients, it’s easy to see why we consider this a top contender for a spring or summer date night cocktail.
Is it aphrodisiac? Well, it certainly has all the elements as far as we’re concerned. Don’t forget, citrus is among our 10 Best Foods for Women. Then add to that the layers of aphrodisiac strawberries, ginger and Bourbon in one Martini glass, it sounds pretty potent to us. As for the results, you be the judge!
North & South Bourbon Limonata
- 1 chilled martini glass
- 1 muddler
- 1 mixing glass
- 1 bar spoon
- 1 strainer
- 1 small ice-cream scoop
- 1 swizzle stick
- 1 fresh strawberry sliced
- 1 in piece of peeled fresh ginger cut into small bits
- 1 tsp aged Balsamic vinegar
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 in jigger Kentucky Bourbon Bullitt Kentucky Bourbon was usedthe development of this recipe
- 1 small scoop lemon sorbet or granita approximately 1/8 cup, homemade or purchased
- 1 lemon slice seeds removed
Macerate the strawberry and ginger:
- Place the strawberry slices and ginger in a small microwave safe bowl, top with the vinegar; stir well. Cover and microwave for approximately 30 seconds. Allow to sit covered for at least 30 minutes, up to 3 hours, or until cooled completely (longer equals more flavor). This part can be done in larger proportions then chilled and stored in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Prepare the cocktail:
- In mixing glass, muddle the strawberry-ginger mixture with the bitters until the ginger and berries are well bruised. Fill the glass halfway with ice; pour in Bourbon and agave nectar. Stir vigorously.
- Place scoop of sorbet in the chilled glass; strain the cocktail over the sorbet. Serve garnished with a lemon slice and a swizzle stick.
Pin this ultimate bourbon drink recipe:
FREE APHRODISIAC NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our free aphrodisiac newsletter